Aspec Relationships I'd Love to See More of in Media, part 4

 

Image description: The iconic duo of Agents Mulder and Scully from The X-Files. Mulder and Scully have a complicated relationship that often defies description, and that type of middle ground is where my aspec headcanons and ideas often thrive. Today, I am once again talking about them and many other dynamics like theirs, using already existing examples in media as jumping off points for the types of aspec relationships I would love to see in our media landscape.

I’ve been talking a lot lately on the blog about what it’s like to enjoy romance as someone who is also an aromantic asexual – although honestly, this is a topic I discuss a lot in general. As someone who both loves romance and desires aspec representation, I believe it’s entirely possible to be invested in a great romantic story, but to also want to see non-romantic relationships that are treated with just as much dignity, respect, and admiration. Too often, we see how diversely portrayed and meaningfully crafted a good romance can be, but that can sometimes come at the detriment of other relationships within a piece of media, or even at the detriment of a character or characters otherwise potentially being aspec. Additionally, media can often portray romance as being more essential than other types of relationships – something which is mirrored by the emphasis in real life that is often placed on romance.

This is why portraying various types of relationships is so important, and why I often believe that aspec characters and/or relationships should be portrayed alongside of romantic ones, thus showing that one is not inherently more important than the other and that all types of relationships have a place. However, because aspec representation in media is still so lacking (and understanding of non-romantic and/or non-sexual identities is still a struggle in general), I acknowledge that portraying aspec relationships may seem challenging. However, I believe that a lot of media actually has the tools to portray these relationships already without even knowing it; in fact, there are several types of relationships that already exist in media and which could be used as a template for future aspec representation if people only allowed themselves to see these bonds in such a way.

Because I’ve already been thinking about this topic a lot recently, I’ve decided it’s time once again to return to a thought experiment I’ve done on the blog numerous times – the notion of exploring aspec relationships I think should be portrayed in media, using the example of relationships that are already there. These are relationships that have flashes of aspec potential, but which are not inherently played up as aspec or even especially fleshed out in their current iteration. Some may be platonic already while others are less so, but I personally believe all of these dynamics have interesting elements attached to them, and I would love to see a piece of media in future that uses similar dynamics but in an overtly aspec way.

As always, these relationship dynamics and their appeal is very subjective, and you may disagree with my picks or with the ways I would make these dynamics aspec if I had the chance. As I’ve said previously, the relationships I choose for the discussion today or the things I describe as being the aspec representation I’d like to see are in no way exhaustive, nor do I speak for everyone. There are plenty of things I would like to see or that I believe would serve me within my own aspec experience that other aspec people might not be as well served by, and so I can only offer my own insights and ideas, so take all of this with a grain of salt. But, if you love speculating about aspec relationships as much as I do, I hope you’ll enjoy yet another round of my picks in the topic of aspec relationships I’d love to see more of.

Spoiler warning! 

Tale of the Nine-Tailed: 1938
Stranger Things
The X-Files

-------------------------------------------------------

A Fun Shout Out Before We Get Started

Before I dive into the topic at hand, I wanted to briefly go off on a tangent regarding something related to my first post on this subject. The other day, while out and about, I wanted to find something in a previous blog post that I was thinking about, and decided to simply Google the blog for quick access. This can be somewhat difficult, because “the asexual geek” is a fairly common description within aspec content online, so I don’t often have a lot of luck, but something surprised me when I did this particular search.

As I’m sure many of you are aware, Google has a tendency to lead with an AI-generated answer when you search something, and while I usually ignore these, I was stopped by something I saw in the Google search for my blog. Much to my surprise, the AI summary told me that “The Asexual Geek” has been quoted in science fiction and fantasy book reviews, chiefly for the novel “Flight and Anchor” by Nicole Kornher-Stace. As anyone who has read my Ace Book Reviews can attest, I adore the works of Nicole Kornher-Stace, but the idea of being quoted in a review was news to me.


Luckily, the AI summary told me where this came from and I was led to a specific site – which, to my even deeper surprise, was the website for an Australian bookseller known as The Nile, which used a blurb written by me on their webpage showcasing “Flight and Anchor.” The exact quote, I soon realized, came from my first “Aspec Relationships I’d Love to See More Of” post, in which I describe my love of “Ride or Die” platonic relationships, specifically highlighting the ones in the works of Nicole Kornher-Stace.

Given I wrote this post in 2024 and “Flight and Anchor” itself came out in 2023, I admit I have no idea how long this webpage has been in existence without me knowing it, nor do I have any idea how the person who put the page together managed to find my blog in the first place. But, needless to say, I’m very flattered. It can be hard to feel like the blog has any reach at all (especially when Google can barely even locate it for me), but it’s nice to know that someone somewhere not only read my post, but thought enough to include my praise on a website where you can buy the book of an aspec author. It may be relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, but it made my day and I knew I had to share, especially given how relevant it was to today’s topic. Speaking of which, back to the topic at hand.

Her Devoted Soldier

As my previously mentioned love of the works of Nicole Kornher-Stace amply proves, I am a sucker for relationships built on the notion of devoted soldiers and protectors who sacrifice for the person who is the most important to them. In the case of her work, the soldiers in question – the supersoldiers known as 06 and 22 – are one another’s protectors, and they realize this concept in a perfect, beautiful, and utterly platonic way. The idea of a devoted soldier sworn to protect someone faithfully also reminds me of an example I gave in my second iteration of this post, in which I described being very charmed by the idea of “ideal romance” tropes portrayed in an inherently aspec way instead, such as the idea of a devoted knight and a fair maiden who are platonic soulmates rather than romantic ones.

Because I love this trope, there are probably countless examples I could point to. However, for the sake of this post, I want to highlight one in particular that I just adore, and for that, we have to jump into the second season of one of my favorite K-Dramas of all time – Tale of the Nine-Tailed. The show focuses on a world in which various characters out of Korean folklore exist and can take human form, including the legendary creature of the nine-tailed fox. Our main character, Yeon, is one of those creatures, but is also a powerful mountain god; in the show’s second season (titled Tale of the Nine-Tailed: 1938) we are introduced to some of his fellow mountain gods, including a powerful woman named Hong-ju.

Hong-ju is fiery and fearsome, but it’s also made abundantly clear to us that she is determined to protect the people whom she considers under her care, and this includes her personal bodyguard, a man named Jae-yoo. In this world of shapeshifters, Jae-yoo’s original form was that of a Jindo, a breed of dog considered deeply important to the national identity of Korea, a fact which is made even more important because the second season of the show takes place during the time when Korea was historically occupied by Japan. It is revealed that Hong-ju rescued Jae-yoo when he was in his Jindo form, as he was injured and near death; as such, he follows her with loyalty and gratitude, viewing her as someone who defends the helpless and cares for those who otherwise have no one to care for them.

Image description: Hong-ju comforts Jae-yoo in Tale of the Nine-Tailed: 1938.

The devotion he shows her is returned in how much she cares for and protects him, and the genuine emotion they feel for one another whenever one of them is sick or injured is deeply touching, and completely platonic. At one point in the series, some of the other characters tease Jae-yoo by claiming he’s in love with Hong-ju (something which makes poor Jae-yoo literally spit his drink), but the series never makes it clear if he actually does feel this way or if he’s merely shocked by the implication. It could even be said that he does love her and the statement is a true one, albeit the love is platonic.

Even if he does feel this way, however, the show never frames it as something he plans to act on or even that he wants to act on it. In one of my previous iterations of this topic, I talked about that same notion – of how unrequited love doesn’t have to be sad. While it’s not clear if Jae-yoo loves Hong-ju in a romantic sense, it’s clear to me that merely being by her side is what makes him happiest, not unlike a chivalrous knight. I absolutely adore this dynamic and would love to see more relationships exactly like it, wherein one party is the champion of the downtrodden and one of the people who considers themselves saved by them decides to be their champion in return.

Bonus: Quiet love

Funnily enough, there’s another bond Hong-ju has in the series that I could see serving as an interesting template for an aspec dynamic. Much like the aforementioned notion about unrequited love not having to be sad, I think too the idea of not being with one’s first love doesn’t have to be sad either. We see this play out between Hong-ju and the last of the mountain gods, a man named Moo-young. 

Image description: Moo-young and Hong-ju share a moment

It’s obvious that Hong-ju was Moo-young’s first love from back when they were children training to take on the mountain god position, but terrible circumstances lead to Moo-young being apart from his fellow mountain gods. When he comes back and is reunited with her, the love he feels is much quieter – tempered by the circumstances of the plot – but there’s nothing wrong with it being this unspoken bond.

It’s clear Hong-ju cares for him deeply, and that almost feels like enough; the series never feels the need to spell anything out about their bond or make it more complicated than it is. For that reason, I could see a bond like theirs being one that could be effortlessly made aspec. Much like I said previously about unrequited love, it would be very interesting to see a pair where one of the characters is aspec and the other respects this, loving them quietly and from afar, rather than needing them to love them in return in order to feel validation. I could even see a bond like this grow into something that exists in the middle ground – something which I’ll explore more later in this post.

Opposites Attract, Hold the Attraction

Something that romantic media loves to play with is the idea of two very different people coming from two very different walks of life finding one another and connecting despite these differences – and honestly, the appeal makes so much sense. There’s nothing quite like a relationship where, despite different circumstances, two people understand one another completely, and their regard for one another cuts through the noise of all the arbitrary things that keep them apart. Whether that be background, socio-economic class, religion, race, etc., these bonds are so powerful in part because they get to the shared humanity of the characters underneath.

Media can do a great job of showcasing friendships built on this odd couple dynamic, and it can do a terrific job of showcasing romances built on it too, but what about relationships that don’t quite fit neatly into either category? Could we have a platonic soulmates type relationship where two people from opposite walks of life find comfort and solace in each other? While there are a lot of relationships I could point to for this very thing, there is a relationship in recent media that I found myself really drawn to, imagining the platonic potential of a bond like this in a world where such a thing was allowed to happen. This bond comes thanks to the fourth season of the hit supernatural horror series Stranger Things.

Stranger Things is all about the uncanny supernatural forces that seem to continually plague the citizens of Hawkins, a small town in Indiana, and in the show’s fourth season, these horrors really come home to roost. As the season begins, we are introduced to a cheerleader at Hawkins High named Chrissy Cunningham, who seems to have what most people would term the picture perfect life – she’s pretty, she’s popular, she’s dating the star quarterback, and things seem to be going well for her. But Chrissy has a lot of buried trauma that she hasn’t told anyone about, trauma we soon see is being used against her by the creature who comes to be known to us as Vecna.

Terrified by the visions Vecna is showing her, Chrissy begins to spiral. In an attempt to quiet her troubled mind, she seeks out another student – Eddie Munsen, whom we have already seen is the school’s outcast and loner – in order to buy drugs from him. Obviously this is extremely far outside of what “good girl” Chrissy would be normally expected to do, and Eddie is a far cry from the people she normally associates with. However, Eddie and Chrissy connect on an incredibly human level – she opens up to him about her concerns, he makes her laugh, and they recall seeing one another in the middle school talent show in which they each appreciated the other’s talents.

While Chrissy’s time on the show is brief (if you know, you know) and thus she doesn’t have a lot of time to connect with Eddie, that brief time they spend together is incredibly impactful and it’s not a surprise to me that many people saw a romantic potential there for the two - including the actors. Although the show doesn’t really get the opportunity to flesh out their relationship, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the show wanted that somewhat romantic subtext to be there, but the thing about the inherently brief nature of Chrissy and Eddie’s bond is that it’s a blank canvas – it can be romantic, but it doesn’t have to be. As such, I think a platonic version of a bond like this would be absolutely incredible, not just with Chrissy and Eddie becoming unlikely friends, but with them becoming something that defies description, just as the pull they feel to one another ultimately defies description.

Image description: It's surprisingly difficult to get a good picture of Chrissy and Eddie's conversation in the woods in the first episode of Stranger Things season four. But when you look at them individually and see the smiles they're wearing exclusively for each other, it's impossible not to get invested in this bond, brief though it is.

As I said, we don’t get much time to meet and understand Chrissy, and even less time to understand the bond she has with Eddie. So, if I was writing an aspec relationship inspired by them, I’d want them and their bond to be in the forefront. I honestly love the idea of a character whose life seems perfect from the outside, but who is struggling regardless of this fact. In the series, Chrissy is dealing with a great deal of trauma related to the pressures of other people – in her case, it’s shown to specifically be trauma inflicted by her mother, chiefly around body image and beauty – and as such, she no doubt feels the pressure to put on a mask and act as though everything is perfect. I likewise love the idea of a character like Eddie, someone who is ostracized for being so outwardly different, feeling the same sense of loneliness that Chrissy does, and connecting with her because of that.

In the aforementioned scene where Eddie and Chrissy first interact, she tells him he’s not like she expected him to be, to which he quips that she likely expected him to be scary, but that he expected her to be scary too. It really highlights the way societal normals have driven them apart and created a hierarchy, and that idea in and of itself is such a rich breeding ground for all types of “odd couple” relationships. For that reason, a dynamic like Chrissy and Eddie’s could exist in pretty much any story set in any time period and within any context – heck, it could even work genderflipped, with a popular and handsome boy connecting with a socially awkward girl. But for the sake of an argument, let’s keep it in a setting like the one they already exist in: a small town school with definitive ideas of social right and wrong, in which a popular girl and a misfit boy connect over the real stuff.

In some ways, Eddie and Chrissy feel to me like a take on Beauty and the Beast, in which two very different people can find common ground despite the social morays that trap them, and why not make that into a platonic bond? I would love to see a story where things start happening in an otherwise quiet place and these two people end up being at the epicenter, thus relying on one another when the entire world feels like it’s falling apart. By throwing in their lot with each other, they would face scrutiny and pressure from those around them because they’d be challenging the status quo.

Having one or especially both of these characters also be aspec would only heighten this, and they would challenge the status quo even more. In this way, they could find even greater common ground and an even more increased desire to protect one another in a way that no one else can, and they would share an understanding that would be even more precious to them both. Give me Chrissy and Eddie getting to the heart of a larger threat or conspiracy together. Let them succeed primarily because they’re able to see each other’s strengths in a way no one else can or will. Show me these characters doing anything to protect one another, becoming heroes in the process – even if they’re only heroes to each other.

The tragedy of Chrissy and Eddie in Stranger Things is the fact that they never get to further explore the bond that exists between them, but what is tragedy for them is untapped potential for the rest of us. I believe these two characters provide a terrific blueprint for how to write a bond between two characters who, by all accounts, have no reason to interact, but who share a profound connection when they do. Making this bond aspec and platonic would, I believe, only serve to heighten it, turning it into a strong platonic bond of opposites that work so very well together. And speaking of which…

Mulder and Scully

When talking about dynamic duos – especially male and female ones and especially ones that are completely opposite of one another and yet mesh so well – easily one of the most famous examples is that of Fox Mulder and Dana Scully from the preeminent sci-fi mystery series The X-Files. The series follows two FBI agents tasked with investigating strange occurrences and inexplicable crimes, something which becomes fraught with tension and intrigue thanks to the fact that Mulder believes there are supernatural explanations for all of these events – that “the truth is out there” – while Scully takes a more scientific and analytical approach. They shouldn’t work as partners, and yet they do, because despite the ways they differ and disagree, they always have one another’s back.

Throughout the series, Mulder and Scully have one heck of a will-they-won’t-they, one that continues – both ambiguously and unambiguously – throughout the entire run of the show, thanks in no small part to the fact that Mulder and Scully have an unbelievable amount of onscreen chemistry. That, coupled with the extreme trust they share and the attractiveness of both actors, makes them rich fodder for shipping, and their shippers were an extremely vocal force throughout the run of the show. Even I admit to being a fan of the pairing, despite how often I advocate for male/female partnerships to remain platonic.

Recently, however, I happened to stumble upon someone’s headcanon that Mulder and Scully should have been in a queerplatonic relationship instead, and this one headcanon rewired how I see the pairing entirely. A queerplatonic relationship (QPR) is a committed relationship that doesn’t involve romantic attraction; it nevertheless shares an element of commitment that makes the people within the QPR like partners or significant others. Honestly, if this doesn’t describe Mulder and Scully, I don’t know what does.

Naturally, because The X-Files was created in the 1990s, the bond the pair shares became more romantic in nature as time went on, with the two likewise becoming a sexual partnership and even co-parenting. But at the core of their bond is something much more difficult to define, and many elements of their partnership share overlap with a QPR, in that they share an intimacy deeper than what the term friendship can cover, but which isn’t always overtly romantic, especially in early seasons. For that reason, I believe the potential is there for a connection like Mulder and Scully’s to exist in media again, only this time with more overt QPR elements built into the narrative.

In fact, I believe a concept like that of The X-Files – two people investigating the mysterious and unexplained against all odds – is perfect fodder for something like that. Part of the reason why Mulder and Scully’s bond is so compelling is because of how much they come to trust one another and rely on one another; give me that energy in a QPR as they protect one another from supernatural horrors. Give me that vibe while these two characters save each other in a way that only they can. And above all, show me a world where they are able to do these things better than anyone else can exactly because they’re aspec. This pair being unique and their relationship being different than most other relationships could be their strength as they investigate things otherwise on the fringe of society, something they understand because they too are on the fringe of society.

I love the idea of a Mulder character – a character who believes in things no one else can see – being aspec, and I love even more the idea of a character like this having a life partner who believes in them and in their relationship, even when no one else can understand it. While that is very similar to the canonical bond Mulder and Scully have already, I’d love to see this in an overtly aspec and very queerplatonic way, showing us that in a world of supernatural and mysterious things, a bond that is non-traditional but still loving doesn’t have to be the strangest thing out there.

Image description: Mulder and Scully share an embrace in The X-Files. As stated, the two have an unbelievable amount of on-screen chemistry, but there's often a tenderness to them that really would lend itself to a terrific queerplatonic relationship in another world.

Being an aspec fangirl is often very difficult, but I always find it deeply rewarding to be able to look at media and characters with my uniquely aspec lens. In so doing, I often find things within those dynamics that other people might not be able to see, and that opens up entirely new ideas and concepts to me. While these types of relationships may not be in mainstream media, it’s always fun to dream, and as a creative person myself, it’s fun to compile these lists and imagine that I could someday play with these notions too.

Whether it’s deep friendships, queerplatonic relationships, or other dynamics that defy traditional description, there are so many aspec or aspec-adjacent relationships we could see portrayed in our media. This is my fourth time doing a post under the umbrella of this topic, and there are still so many more types of dynamics waiting to be discussed. The idea of finding more of them is something I will always find exciting, and imagining a future where these relationships are treated as just as important as romantic ones will always be the north star I use when analyzing media and creating media of my own. Both prospects remain, as they always have been, deeply rewarding.

Comments

Popular Posts