Aspec Relationships I'd Love to See More of in Media

Image description: Concept art from the original concept of the Disney animated film, Wish. In this concept, the fallen star was going to take the form of a young man and go on an emotional journey with main character Asha, the two being described as "soulmates." But while the internet obviously longs for that to be a romantic concept, does it have to be? Today I explore some ideas about types of relationships I'd love to see for aspec characters or just generally non-sexual and/or non-romantic people and why I think they'd be so great.

As an aspec geek and blogger, I feel like a lot of times I end up discussing what I don’t want to see in media. Many of my posts end up being about the ways I don’t want to see characters portrayed, types of relationships that I don’t enjoy, and the tropes that don’t do anything productive for both aspec people and allosexual people alike. Usually, if I end up discussing what I do want to see, it’s a much smaller part of the whole, often used to describe why certain plot elements or portrayals bother me, and what they could have been instead. I don’t often get to dedicate entire posts to more ideal ways of doing things and, since I was craving a bit of levity on the blog this week, I decided to do exactly that.

Today, I’m not going to be discussing any one specific character – whether they’re canonically aspec or just a character I feel has aspec vibes – nor am I going to be deep diving into any one specific piece of media. Rather, because my biggest frustrations when I analyze media tend to be how relationships are portrayed or how people respond to them, I thought it would be interesting to look at this topic through a more positive lens and in a broader sense. As aspec representation increases, I feel many aspec characters tend to either be portrayed by themselves or are part of stories centered on how asexual-spectrum romances would work with allosexual and/or alloromantic partners. But what about other types of relationships – maybe even exclusively aspec ones – that are less commonly explored? I believe there are many types of these relationships hiding in plain sight that could yield fascinating results and maybe even excellent representation if they were allowed to be portrayed.

Admittedly this is a very subjective topic today. These are, personally, relationships that I would enjoy seeing, many of which I’ve seen brief glimpses of in media already and that leave me wanting more. Other aspec people might not agree, and may not enjoy these relationships or find them useful. But to me, one of the most important elements of aspec representation – and, perhaps more importantly at this time, aspec visibility – is that we have a deep and varied well to draw from. Therefore, while these are only a small number of the types of amazing and diverse aspec relationships we could see in media, I think they’d be great starting points. So, without further ado, here’s my list of relationships I’d love to see for aspec characters in media.

Spoiler warning! 
The novels of Nicole Kornher-Stace (esp. Archivist Wasp and Firebreak)
The Skybound Saga by Alex London
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine ("The Forsaken," "The Muse")
Tarnished Are the Stars by Rosiee Thor

-----------------------------

“Ride Or Die” Platonic Friendships

A few of my favorite aspec relationship vibes come from the aspec books I’ve read and reviewed for the blog, and this first on my list is no exception. Without a doubt, one of my all-time favorite aspec relationships is the purely platonic bond between the supersoldiers known as 06 and 22 in the novels by Nicole Kornher-Stace. [Spoilers ahead] 06 and 22 first appear in the 2015 novel Archivist Wasp, but they appear in a total of four books (and even more stories), spanning a vast distance of time. Their story begins when they are taken as children by the Latchkey Project, a secret research program designed to turn them and other children into weapons to help fight an endless corporate war. Having trained together as a duo, the two surpass the idea of best friends or even surrogate siblings and instead harbor an even deeper love that is completely non-romantic.

The author herself has said these two are besties for life (and beyond) and often describes them as “ride or die,” a term which refers to unyielding loyalty. Male/female platonic ride or die bonds are among some of my favorites – as my lists of favorite friendships usually demonstrate – and when it comes to this notion, I’d be hard-pressed to find any pair as unwaveringly loyal to each other as 06 and 22. Whether it’s the dedication they have to each other even as children, as seen primarily in the 2023 novella Flight & Anchor, or the way they take “ride or die” a little too literally in Firebreak, I absolutely love the bond these two share, and how natural and ingrained it is for them.

Image description: The cover of the 06 and 22-centric novella, Flight & Anchor, obtained from Nicole Kornher-Stace's Twitter.

Per her own descriptions, ride or die male/female platonic bonds are extremely important to Nicole Kornher-Stace and to her work in general. On her website, she describes these types of relationships as the ones she herself would have benefitted from seeing when she was younger and often didn’t get to see, inspiring her to create as many of them as possible as an adult author. In fact, 22 himself is the center of more than one excellent male/female platonic bond, as we see in Archivist Wasp and its sequel with the titular character, as well as again in Firebreak with Mal.

BONUS: The Platonic Crush

Speaking of which, the relationship between Mal and 22 – that is to say, Mal’s completely platonic crush on him – is incredibly near and dear to my heart. Not only does it describe something that I’ve experienced many times in my life, but it’s a type of relationship that I’ve rarely if ever seen explored in media, and yet which has such tremendous potential. As someone who always had crushes on fictional characters and unattainable celebrities, it wasn’t hard for me to imagine a platonic crush even before I realized I was aspec. And yet, I feel like it’s rare to see those types of crushes or relationships played well, and often these things are treated either as unhealthy, jump straight to romance, or are instead seen as baffling. Frankly, people being baffled by these types of crushes baffles me since, as I said, this has always been a part of my life, and has become increasingly so over the years. To me, their confusion makes it all the clearer that we need more of these portrayals.

Something Nicole Kornher-Stace said about this relationship in particular, especially in regards to people expressing confusion about what a platonic crush even is, will stick with me for a good long while: “We’re used to seeing romantic insta-love in books, or romantic/sexual interest that isn’t necessarily intellectually understood by the character experiencing it, but I wanted to write that same kind of intensity of obsession totally removed from any kind of romantic/sexual motivation. If romantic love doesn’t have to make intellectual ‘sense,’ then platonic love shouldn’t either.” This quote makes me crave more bonds like Mal's with 22 and more friendships like 06 and 22’s – and makes me think of the potential for amazing storytelling that can be found there.

Unrequited Love Doesn’t Have to Be Sad

Throughout most media and in real life, the idea of unrequited love – in which one person loves someone who can’t or won’t love them back – is almost always portrayed as tragic. It’s portrayed as a representation of eternal longing and wanting something you can never have, and it’s often set up as the thing that will break characters if they let it. But what if that didn’t have to be a thing? What if unrequited love wasn’t sorrowful? What if it was just a different kind of love? Speaking of aspec books once again, this very unique spin on the concept came courtesy of the Skyward Saga trilogy by Alex London, [spoilers!] specifically through the characters of Kylee and Nyall.

Kylee is one of the trilogy’s main protagonists and is also its aspec character; although it’s never confirmed in so many words, it seems likely she’s specifically an aromantic asexual. Nyall, meanwhile, is a childhood friend of Kylee and her brother, Brysen, and has harbored a very obvious crush on Kylee for years. However, unlike in most cases where a non-sexual, non-romantic character is made out to be deficient or the problem if they don’t return the affections of a presumed allosexual character, this is never the case for Kylee, and her relationship with Nyall is never portrayed that way. In fact, Nyall knows that Kylee will never return his affections and is fine with this. He even discusses it with Brysen at one point during the first novel in a quote I found extremely compelling.

“It’s like this,” Nyall tells Brysen when pressed on the subject. “People love the moon. But the moon doesn’t love them back. It just is. Our love for it doesn’t require it to love us in return. I’d rather live in a world where I get to love the moon than in one where I don’t, even if the moon won’t return the feeling.” As someone who loves both the moon and has a huge platonic crush on an unattainable celebrity with moon associations, this quote speaks to me, and is also very intriguing. It makes me think of Kylee and Nyall’s relationship as being a bit like the dynamic between a lady and her loyal knight, especially in Red Skies Falling, the second book in the trilogy where he acts as her friend, confidant, and even something of a bodyguard. The trust they have for each other, especially in an otherwise hostile environment, is something I would love from any friendship – again, especially a male/female one.

Personally, if the Kylee/Nyall dynamic were to be reproduced in anything else, I’d love to see the lady and knight dynamic be highlighted even more, even if it didn’t actually involve a lady and a knight in the literal sense. If it were me, I’d remove even the playful or innocent flirting Nyall engages in and make it even more abundantly clear that Nyall is glad to exist in Kylee’s orbit, even though she won’t love him back. So often in our media, we think of traditional happy endings as being largely dependent on the hero finding a romantic partner or winning the love of someone who didn’t love them previously. Therefore, I think it would be amazing if two characters like Kylee and Nyall got a happy ending that is based on love but not about romance. They could love and trust one another without it involving a kiss, a declaration of romantic love, or anything sexual, and that, I think, would be extremely valuable. Not only that, but it leads me nicely into the next aspec relationship type.

Platonic Soulmates

Earlier this year, I did a post called “Redefining Romance,” during which I spoke at length about the original concept for the Disney animated feature, Wish. Apparently, earlier in the story’s development, the anthropomorphic wishing star that represented main character Asha’s powerful wish was actually supposed to be a young man, whom the internet dubbed “Starboy.” The character went through several different iterations during this stage of the project and by all accounts it seems like one of the frontrunners for this concept involved a romance between Asha and Starboy. This is evidenced by the fact that an earlier draft of “At All Costs,” one of the film’s songs, was far more romantic and seemed to be a love confession duet between the two.

Additionally, in a book detailing Wish’s development, the section about the star’s original “Starboy” concepts describes an idea where the character was non-speaking, communicating largely through miming and gestures. The book also quotes Allison Moore, one of the film’s writers, as saying this iteration of the story and the character became an emotional story between Starboy and Asha, whom she describes as soulmates. Naturally, between this and the original version of “At All Costs,” the internet did what it does best and was off and running with Asha and Starboy as a romantic pairing – and, given the evidence and the idea of “wasted potential,” I can’t say I blame them. But I also don’t think it’s as simple as all that.

Image description: Another beautiful bit of the original concept art for Starboy and Asha in Wish. How amazing would this be if we got this dynamic in a totally platonic way?

I won’t go too far into the reasons why I think a romance between these two characters wouldn’t have actually worked, since I discuss it in depth in the aforementioned “Redefining Romance” post. But for the sake of this post, I will say it’s a disappointment that neither the writers of that original concept nor most of the internet seem to have considered the idea of platonic soulmates. Platonic soulmates is something I’ve always advocated for, but Asha and Starboy have brought the concept back to my mind even more clearly because I think they would be a great example of this, especially when paired with that original idea of Starboy being a literal manifestation of a star, unable to speak and largely unaware of the world around him, relying on Asha as his partner in what’s described as an “emotional journey.”

As I’ve probably made abundantly clear even just in this post alone, I am a huge fan of characters who completely understand and accept each other, but whose understanding is framed as utterly non-romantic and non-sexual. Especially in a story where Asha and Starboy had to guide one another on their journey, the potential for their complete and perfect understanding of one another could have been beautiful and could have shown that true love doesn’t have to solely be romantic. These two could have been ride or die best friends like in my first example, or they could have been non-romantic soulmates. To me, more than anything else, this was Wish’s true wasted potential, although there’s always hope that this concept returns in another story someday soon.

Non-romantic Marriage

While this next relationship might sound oddly specific and maybe a bit zany, I assure you I have a very specific precedence for it: the characters of Odo and Lwaxana from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. When I was writing my post all about Odo’s character in 2023, I found myself with a lot of positive things to say about the surprisingly poignant bond between these two characters, but I also had some issues too. For those unfamiliar with the show, Odo is a series regular on DS9 and comes from an alien race known as “the Changelings” – a shapeshifting race whose rarity means Odo has spent most of his life feeling like an outsider and someone who cannot be truly understood. He also has plenty of aspec vibes, especially earlier in the series.

In the show’s first season, Odo meets Lwaxana Troi, who could not be more his opposite if she tried. Compared to the duty-driven and taciturn Odo, Lwaxana is vivacious, emotional, and talkative – so of course hilarity ensues when the two are stranded for hours together in a broken turbolift. However, this lightheartedness eventually turns to real sincerity the longer this predicament goes on because Odo, as a shapeshifter, must return to a liquid form every sixteen hours, something he has never been forced to do in front of other people before. However, Lwaxana understands the vulnerable position this puts Odo in and, despite the ways she’s hounded and pursued Odo up until this point, takes care of him in a very genuine and tender way. The pair share the vulnerable moment together, opening up to each other in a way neither of them often gets to do.

This all comes back around in the fourth season when Lwaxana returns and asks for Odo’s help to escape the whims of her new husband. To accomplish this, Odo decides to marry Lwaxana instead, which will free her from her predicament based on the laws of her husband’s people. The one caveat is that Odo must make it seem like he really wants to marry her. While normally this would seem like an insurmountable issue, we see throughout the episode how deeply the two have come to care for one another, which makes it even more poignant when Odo delivers a convincing speech about his love for her.

“Before I met her, my world was a much smaller place,” Odo says, after insisting that Lwaxana is “not just any woman” to him. “I kept to myself, I didn’t need anyone else, and I took pride in that. The truth is I was ashamed of what I was – afraid that if people saw how truly different I was, they would recoil from me. Lwaxana saw how different I was and she didn’t recoil. She wanted to see more. For the first time in my life, someone wanted me as I was, and that changed me forever. The day I met her is the day I stopped being alone, and I want her to be part of my life from this day on.” It’s a beautiful speech, and I believe the fact that we as the audience know this love is platonic rather than romantic makes it even more special – and even more true when he calls Lwaxana his beloved.

The only thing that puts a damper on all of this for me is that Lwaxana’s love for Odo is inherently romantic only and, unlike in my previous examples, she is not content to just be in Odo’s orbit. While that’s completely valid, of course, it makes me feel like some of the beautiful platonic nature of this scene is sadly wasted, and makes me wish that there was another version of this type of relationship that fills in the gaps of this one. In some ways, my ideal version of Odo and Lwaxana would be either of the two previous relationship types I’ve discussed here, or even a combination of the two. Regardless, I think there is so much here that has potential for other storytelling and makes me want to see the concept of the aromantic and/or asexual marriage fleshed out more, especially because there’s only one other time I’ve seen the concept played with.

Once again referencing an aspec book I've read and reviewed, a much more subtle example comes briefly in Tarnished Are the Stars by Rosiee Thor [spoilers ahead!]. In that story, two of the main characters/narrators – Nathaniel and Eliza – are betrothed to one another, and Nathaniel’s dread at the betrothal helps us as readers begin to guess that he is potentially aspec. However, for Nathaniel himself, it’s actually Eliza that helps him realize his aromantic asexual identity. Eliza is also queer, and so not only was their betrothal as unpalatable to her as it was to him, but her identity allows her to understand Nathaniel even more, leading to a very sweet connection. Sadly, it felt like this connection was all too minor in the story, since the rest of the plot centered on other elements, but I think the potential was there.

Nathaniel and Eliza – much like Odo and Lwaxana – represent the idea of two seemingly incompatible people finding safety and comfort in each other. I would love to see a story where two characters similarly find one another, and decide to enter into a completely non-romantic arrangement to protect each other from whatever outside force assails one or both of them. I would love to see that bond be the main focus of a story, and have the friendship that grows between them be more powerful than a romance for either of them, showing that great love stories can indeed be completely non-romantic.

For me, some of my favorite bonds of any kind are ones where two people are shown helping each other through the hardships of day-to-day life, and where the trust and respect they have for one another are shown to be the driving forces that let them accomplish that. Some of the best marriages – both in media and in real life – tend to be the ones built on those foundations, and where oftentimes what society traditionally deems as “romantic” has given way to that shared sense of safety and support. For that reason, I believe stories featuring platonic marriages would actually be quite enjoyable, not just to me or someone like me, but to plenty of people.

Image description: Odo and Lwaxana during their wedding in "The Muse," a truly tender and sweet scene that I would love to see inspire other non-romantic bonds and relationships in future. See also this article on startrek.com about these two as an aromantic love story.

Although I wanted to keep this topic a bit lighter and more fun today – focusing on the positives more than the negatives – I admit there are definite reasons why I feel discussions like these are necessary. In the introduction of this post, I mentioned that not only do we need aspec representation, but aspec visibility, a notion I’ve talked about on the blog before in the not-too-distant past. In my own experiences recently, I’ve felt like more people are starting to know about asexuality, but that more people are also treating aspec identities like something they don’t really need to pay attention to. I’ve seen a lot of instances where it feels like aspec identities, people, characters, relationships, and ways of seeing the world are treated as something that should stay removed from “regular” spheres of influence or discussion, and I think that’s a problem.

Of course, I can acknowledge that aspec identities are the minority, and I’ve spoken before about how I’m willing to accept that the world is often not made for people like me. However, I don’t think it’s fair that aspec people are frequently made to accept the idea of being pushed aside and devalued in everything from our fandoms to the media we love. For that reason, I believe that making alternate types of relationships more visible to people is essential. If we can start showing aspec characters as well as aspec-friendly or aspec-specific relationships, maybe we can start emphasizing that these things should be treated with just as much depth and seriousness as allosexual/alloromantic ones.

Wanting to see greater platonic representation, deeper friendships, and deconstructions of typically romantic archetypes isn’t just a little daydream of mine. Rather, I truly believe that celebrating these things as much as we celebrate romantic and/or sexual relationships is the true path to greater visibility and representation. Maybe if these things are more prevalent in our media, aspec identities and culture will be allowed to be part of the larger media conversation. But even more than wanting these things as an aspec person, I want these things as a storyteller, because I believe they will not only lead to greater and more diverse representation, but to greater and more diverse stories as well. And what’s not to love about that?

Comments

Popular Posts