(Some More Of) My Favorite Media Friendships

Image description: The bond between the crew of a Star Trek series is so important to how the show flows, and Star Trek: The Next Generation's crew, pictured here, is no exception. But for today's post, all about some more of my favorite friendships in media, I focus on only two of the characters pictured here. Can you guess who? Hint: it may not be who you expect.

Celebrating friendship is something I love to do on this blog. Whether I’m giving shoutouts to my own dear friends and the way they’ve helped me on my journey, or discussing top tier platonic bonds in media, I’m always eager to point out these valuable relationships. Too often, media seems to frame friendships and platonic bonds as mere consolation prizes on the road to “deeper relationships” like romance or sex, and that if all you have to show for your efforts is a friendship, then you’ve lost. For as many great friendships as exist in media, there are plenty more relationships where friendship is sad, lonely, or encourages us to feel as if characters have been “friendzoned,” as if friendship isn’t just a different type of relationship built on trust, respect, and connection.

For all these reasons, discussing great friendships in media is very important to me. In a post last year, I specifically discussed four of my favorite friendships in media and why I think they’re spectacular. Today, I’d like to come back to this vast topic and look at four more friendships I love and why I think they’re so great. For this post, like the last one, I want to focus on bonds that are purely platonic friendships, rather than, for instance, mentor/mentee relationships or parental roles. I also decided that, for the sake of choosing four friendships and not getting completely carried away, I’d focus solely on duos for this post, much like I did for the first one. I might discuss great platonic group dynamics at some point in the future, as I feel there’s a lot of great ones to talk about (as always), but for today, let me highlight four more of my favorite platonic and amazing friend duos across media.

Spoiler warning! 
Downton Abbey (especially the end of seasons 3 & 6)
Yuri On Ice (various)
Hades

-----------------------------

Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Guinan from Star Trek: The Next Generation


In my original post on this subject, I highlighted the amazing male-female platonic bond of Captain Kathryn Janeway and Tuvok in Star Trek: Voyager. But an even earlier example of this type of friendship exists in Star Trek: The Next Generation between Captain Jean-Luc Picard and his wise friend Guinan. In fact, this friendship was supposed to be included in the original post, but I had to cut it due to length. However, I knew I wanted to talk about this amazing friendship at some point, so having to cut this duo from the first post pretty much led me to make this one.

Why are Guinan and Picard so spectacular that they just beg to be discussed? To start, the wise counsel Guinan provides to Picard is second to none. It’s amazing seeing an intellectual captain like Picard place so much trust in Guinan’s opinions, and to see the way she advises him like no one else can makes their friendship an extremely special one amid a crew full of great bonds. I also love that it’s not just Picard relying on Guinan that makes this friendship special; rather, Guinan – a being who has lived for hundreds of years – considers Jean-Luc just as special. Both Picard and Guinan consider themselves “beyond friends and beyond family,” and again, I love that this takes on a completely non-romantic slant.

In fact, while poking around on the Star Trek wiki, Memory Alpha, I encountered an interesting quote from the franchise’s creator Gene Roddenberry regarding the relationship between these two characters: “I will say that friendship is a much broader thing than most people understand.” While I can’t be entirely sure what Roddenberry’s thoughts were regarding these two characters and what exactly he means by this statement, it seems to me like he’s acknowledging that friendships are deep and complex things, much like Guinan and Picard’s description of their bond seems to signal. I love the idea of friendships that defy description, bring comfort, and allow for growth of both characters.

In general, trying to pick just one friendship to talk about in a Star Trek series is nearly impossible, but because I cherish male-female platonic bonds where both parties are respected and allowed to rely on each other in totally non-romantic ways, it seemed like a no-brainer for me to talk about these two. In my opinion, the best relationships of any kind are not shallow, and that especially includes friendships, which Picard and Guinan prove so well. Their shared history and the depth of both characters leads to some of the best moments and most important conversations in TNG and possibly in all of Star Trek, making their connection even more special and long-lasting to this very day.

Eleven and Max from Stranger Things

Image description: Max (on left) and El (on right)

Friendship is at the core of the Netflix mystery-horror series Stranger Things. From the very beginning we see great friendships like “the Party,” the four-person Dungeons & Dragons playing squad that consists of Will, Mike, Lucas, and Dustin; later, as the show develops, we see terrific odd couple bonds like Steve and Robin or Dustin and Eddy, enjoyable friendships built on everything from shared hobbies to similar circumstances, leading to humor and heart aplenty. It’s hard to pick just one friendship on the show to focus on, but even so, I’d like to focus on the best friend relationship that develops between Eleven and Max in the show’s third and fourth seasons.

Perhaps my favorite thing about El and Max’s friendship is the organic way it develops. Max is introduced in the show’s second season, during a time when El is missing and her friends assume she’s gone forever. When El returns, she’s cold to Max, assuming the other girl is trying to assert herself into the friend group in El’s absence, an emotion which makes sense for young kids to feel – especially El, for whom her relationships with “the Party,” Mike in particular, are some of the only friendships she’s ever had. I’m so glad that the show’s third season didn’t continue El’s standoffishness to Max, but also didn’t jump right into the two being besties. In fact, when El goes to Max for advice in season three, it’s clear Max is a little hesitant, probably remembering El’s initially hostility towards her. However, they’re soon able to connect and begin a friendship in earnest, with Max teaching El a valuable lesson: “there’s more to life than stupid boys.”

El and Max’s friendship goes beyond just their youthful fun at the mall in season three, however. Not only does Max help El gain new confidence and expand her horizons, but Max finds a much-needed friend and ally in El, especially when things begin running wild, as they tend to do in Stranger Things. Their friendship not only makes sense for the characters, but it works very well within the third season’s plot. The third season of the show is not my favorite, but Max and El’s friendship developing is a bright spot in my opinion, as it allows both characters to grow and flourish. This is something that continues even more in the show’s fourth season, where friendship saves Max’s life on multiple occasions, especially her friendship with El.

One of the big themes of Stranger Things is growing up and the struggles therein; as such, we see a lot of the struggles our friend groups go through to survive the changes in their dynamics and themselves as they begin to become adults. But of all the friendships that hit rocky patches, El and Max’s friendship seems to be strong and enduring. I like to think that’s because El and Max meet each other on equal footing. They’re both unique in their own ways, and as the show goes on, they’re each carrying a lot of pain and personal struggles, but they help each other in their own ways, as only a good best friend can. I love the journey they take together, from somewhat adversarial to two people who really care about one another, for whom friendship is the thing that helps them on their perilous quest. It’s no wonder I chose an image of El and Max to represent my most recent “Recommendations From Friends” post, because their bond reminds me of all the things that are best about friendships, both in real life and in media.

Mary Crawley and Tom Branson from Downton Abbey


When it comes to friendships, I’m a huge fan of oddball unlikely pairings that somehow get along wonderfully. One of my favorite examples of this notion has to be Lady Mary Crawley and former chauffeur Tom Branson in the British period drama, Downton Abbey. Tom and Mary are starkly different from one another, not just in class and station, but in political beliefs and worldview as well. Ostensibly, they should clash just on these things alone; throw in the family drama of Mary’s youngest sister Sybil falling in love with Tom and the animosity between the two should run deep. However, although initially wary of Tom marrying Sybil, I absolutely love that Mary eventually comes to support the couple, and considers Tom part of the family – not just for Sybil’s sake, but for Tom’s as well.

Over the years, they come to really admire one another as people and to genuinely respect each other’s opinions. They even come to see each other as family, which I think is extremely poignant and moving. I especially enjoy that the two are allowed to love each other in a way that is somewhat family, somewhat friendship, and all parts platonic. At one point in the series, when Tom is hoping for Mary’s support in something, he says she’ll support him if she loves him, to which she smiles and agrees that in that case, she surely has to support him. To me, it’s proof of how far two mismatched characters can come if they’re allowed to develop and grow (both with each other and separately), and I think the potential for that is extremely inspiring.

Any long-time reader of the blog knows I have issues with how Downton Abbey treats Lady Mary, especially in later seasons. In order to push Mary into a relationship she says she doesn’t want but we’re clearly supposed to think she does, the writing does use Tom as a sort of mouthpiece for one of my least favorite tropes – that of someone “denying themselves happiness”. I hate that the writing uses Tom and Mary’s strong bond and the trust they have in each other to do this, but if there is a silver lining to this dark cloud, it’s that it proves there is indeed a bond of trust between them in the first place (I really struggle to justify the show’s sixth season, what can I say?).

Despite those moments that feel to me like a violation of character, Mary and Tom as a duo will always be special to me. They go beyond just the relationship of a sibling-in-law pair and transcend from just “family by marriage” to “family by choice,” which is why I consider them a friendship and not just a family dynamic. Mary especially has been known to quarrel with her family or struggle within their system, but with Tom, it always seems like she has a confidant; meanwhile, Tom struggles to be a part of the Crawley family, but from the moment he marries Sybil, Mary is always in his corner. From the way they care about each other, to the way they help and support one another through good times and bad once Tom joins the family, their bond will always be a special one, and the type of friendship I’d love to see more of.

Yuri Katsuki and Phichit Chulanont from Yuri on Ice

Image description: Yuri (in the background) and Phichit (plus one of his pet hamsters) (in the foreground)

There are so many great bonds in the anime series Yuri on Ice that I struggled to pick just one. The series focuses on Japanese figure skater Yuri Katsuki, who struggles to return to the sport after personal setbacks, but is given new life when his idol, famous skater Victor Nikiforov, becomes his coach and mentor. While romance blossoms between Yuri and Victor, the show doesn’t neglect the other important bonds in Yuri’s life and how these things affect him. Therefore, I could have chosen to focus on Yuri and his friends in his hometown like Minako or Yuko, both of whom support, inspire, and encourage Yuri to go further; I could have even opted to discuss the unique enemies-turned-somewhat-friends bond between Yuri Katsuki and the Russian skater Yuri Plisetsky who competes against him (heck, because it’s a unique relationship for sure and I love the way they bring out the best in each other as they compete, I still might discuss it at some point down the line, who knows?).

But, for the sake of this post, I chose one of my other favorite friendships from the series – that between Yuri Katsuki and Thai skater Phichit Chulanont. They aren’t featured as heavily as some of those other relationships are, but when they are together on screen, I think their bond really shines. Phichit is a bright, happy, optimistic skater who is excited for his professional future, while Yuri is plagued with self-doubt and worries about his own. But at different points during the show, their bond is important to Yuri’s journey. Because part of Yuri’s struggle is thinking he disappointed his friends during his previous failures, I love that Phichit is always shown to be unflinchingly supportive of Yuri in everything. That bright, excited attitude trickles into what Yuri does and his own career, such as when Phichit is thinking about his own goals and says to Yuri, “and you’ll be there too, promise, okay?”

This scene is brief, but absolutely adorable to me. Phichit wants to do his best, but wants to do so with his friend by his side; and whenever Yuri reaches out to Phichit for help, the Thai skater is always there for him. This also comes out in hilariously cute ways, such as when he mistakenly think Victor and Yuri got married and is very loudly overjoyed by this fact in public. Even when it’s misplaced, Phichit is genuinely happy for Yuri and eager to support his friend which, again, is even better when you consider Yuri’s anxieties making him think that people are embarrassed of him. Phichit’s helpful, supportive, unconditional friendship with Yuri, although a small part of the series, elevates it dramatically in my opinion and makes them one of my favorite media friendships in general.

Honorable Mention: Zagreus and Dusa from Hades


Okay, so it may be cheating to include a friendship duo from a piece of media I’ve never actually experienced first-hand, which is why I decided to make this an honorable mention. But when thinking about this list, I couldn’t help but think about Zagreus and Dusa from the video game Hades. You may recall that I discussed Dusa – and by extension her friendship with main character Zagreus – in my second Recommendations From Friends post. My best friend played the game and immediately told me all about Dusa’s clear aromantic asexual nature, which prompted me to watch some videos of how Dusa’s friendship with Zagreus plays out. As I said in that post, I absolutely love the bond between the two and think it’s extremely special.

Beyond just their bond being terrific, the fact that Dusa has those AroAce vibes makes their friendship even more noteworthy, especially because Zagreus completely honors this fact – a rare thing indeed in most media. At the beginning of this post, I mentioned that media too often encourages us to think of friendships as bad consolation prizes, but to me, Dusa and Zag’s friendship completely debunks that notion. From what I saw of these two, the way Zagreus is always respecting Dusa’s comfort level and genuinely enjoys being around her is terrific. Rather than seeing her and her aspec nature as a burden, it actually allows their friendship to flourish even more, which is something I deeply appreciate. I would love to see more relationships like this, where two people are allowed to care about one another, feel good in each other’s company, and draw strength from their bond, while also respecting aspec vibes. So, even though I’ve not played the game, to me Dusa and Zagreus represent an amazing step in the right direction when it comes to writing better friendships – aspec or otherwise.

----------------------------

As stated earlier, I feel it’s vitally important to point out the good friendships in media and what makes them so good in a specific work. Sometimes, it’s friends who support each other with gentleness and kindness. Other times, it’s friends who help each other through the worst of times with encouragement and compassion. Maybe it’s a friend who is there to provide wise council, a helping hand, or a nudge in the right direction when a friend goes astray. But how ever they express their friendship, the best platonic bonds are (in my opinion) almost always built on things like trust, mutual respect, and understanding for the other person. Rather than always expect these things will become romantic or that only romantic relationships can have them, it’s great to show that friendships can be just as deep and important to life. After all, romance can’t possibly do it all, as I’ve discussed before on this blog, nor should it be expected to.

And beyond it being important to find and celebrate these relationships, in my experience it’s also a lot of fun. Being able to look at these diverse types of relationships and enjoy them for what they are makes a piece of media even better, in my opinion. I love a good romance and love seeing characters fall in love, but I also love seeing relationships of all kinds deepen, and that includes seeing characters set their feet on the path of a good, strong, long-lasting friendship. These examples today are once again just a few of the friendships I love in media, but they serve as a good reminder that platonic bonds are valid, deep, and worthy of being explored and cherished.

Comments

Popular Posts