Accidentally Aspec-Friendly Romance: Celebrating Some New Favorite Pieces of Media

Image description: The cover image of Seeking Persephone, a Regency-era romance that has largely taken over my life these past few months. As with most of my obsessions, I feel the need to talk about it, because as an aspec fan, I think I have some interesting perspectives on this and other media that has come to my attention recently.

Back in May, I did a post about being both an aromantic asexual fangirl and a fan of romance, and how those seemingly contrasting things work together for me. That post focused mainly on the fandom attitude of “shipping” characters – that is, rooting for characters to get together romantically in a piece of media – and what I as an AroAce person get out of shipping, since I certainly am not looking at these romantic pairings as a model for romance in my own life. In it, I discussed the crossroads of my two identities, in which I can both simultaneously enjoy romance and yet advocate for it to be less omnipresent in media, while also unpacking some of my favorite romantic pairings and why I love them.

Since writing that post, I encountered even more romantic media that I’ve come to really love and want to discuss, chiefly because of one overall factor that jumps out at me: they are accidentally aspec-friendly. Admittedly, that might seem a little obvious – after all, something I discuss a great deal on the blog is the fact that I am not only AroAce, but sex-repulsed. Therefore, any romance (and any media in general) that I enjoy is not going to be overly sexual, and therefore could be described as being “aspec-friendly” by default, at least according to my own definitions. But I think it goes deeper than that.

Of course, this is a topic with a lot of room for interpretation. For instance, if you’re aspec and you dislike or are made uncomfortable by romance in general, these pieces of media will not match your own definition of what being aspec friendly means. Even my own definitions are a bit complicated, as I will discuss as the post goes on. But in broadest terms, my idea of being aspec-friendly is more than a piece of media just being comfortably watchable. In fact, there’s plenty of media I love which does not contain explicit sex that I would nevertheless not define as aspec-friendly. There’s also a lot of media that doesn’t rely on romance or which has important plots outside of romance that I still think cannot quite capture the essence of being accidentally aspec-friendly.

So in today’s post, I’d like to unpack what about these new pieces of media has made me feel this way and why. I admit I also just want an excuse to focus on the aforementioned new romances I’ve been enjoying over the past few months and celebrate what makes them special. In bygone years around my birthday, I used to put together what I liked to call an “Ace Safe Space List,” so in a way, I am considering this a successor of that, a fun way to explore some of the media that has made me happy lately, with a bit of analysis included for good measure. So, without further ado, please allow me to gush about these new faves.

Spoiler warning! 

Ladyhawke
Seeking Persephone

-------------------------------------------------------

How I choose to define “aspec-friendly”

As I said in my intro, every aspec person is going to have different definitions for what it means to be aspec-friendly. While some aspec people don’t mind sexually explicit content, for example, some of us do, or some of us are selective about what we want to see presented and how. For me, of course, I need my content to be without explicit sex, and to have any such things merely implied, alluded to, or otherwise in the background in order for me to be able to interface with it at all. But even that doesn’t guarantee that a piece of media will be what I would consider aspec-friendly.

For instance, I recently watched the film Titanic for the first time in a very long time. When I was younger, I was allowed to see a TV-friendly version of the movie, but I honestly didn’t remember much of it, and so was glad to take the opportunity to sit down and watch it again. Although the iconic lovers at the center of the story – Jack and Rose – do [spoilers!] have sex and there is of course nudity in the drawing scene, the movie isn’t a terrible watch for me. It’s not as graphic or explicit as a lot of modern media is, and so I can watch it without great issue. But I would not consider it aspec-friendly, since the story does rely on these more sexual elements, despite them not being presented in a graphically explicit way.

Another example I’ve experienced recently is the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Thanks to recommendations from friends, I have been getting very into Sanderson’s works lately – something I’ll discuss a bit later in the year when I do a round-up of what I’ve been reading in 2026 – and part of what I enjoy about his novels is that they are not sexually explicit. However, for as addicted as I have been to Mistborn and as much as I have been loving the novels, I would say that they are not entirely aspec-friendly because, although there is not explicit sexual content in them, there is a lot of sexual violence baked into the harsh world of the Final Empire, whether in the background or the forefront.

I hope these two examples serve as something of an indicator for why this issue can be a bit difficult to quantify. They represent just a fraction of instances where I enjoy a piece of media, but can’t wholeheartedly describe it as aspec-friendly, which is part of what makes the media I want to discuss in today’s post all the more noteworthy, especially given these pieces of media are primarily romances. To me, aspec-friendly romances can be especially difficult to find, not only because of the tendency for sex to be included in these portrayals, but because romantic media has a tendency to fall into aphobic tropes.

For this reason, another example I could give of a piece of media I love that doesn’t quite pass the “aspec-friendly” test despite not being explicit is Downton Abbey. Any long-time reader of the blog knows I love Downton Abbey – in fact, the show’s main couple, Mary and Matthew Crawley, have been among my favorite fictional couples of all time, and were my cover image for my previously mentioned “Why I Ship” post. But, if you’ve read the blog for a while, you also know that Downton Abbey frustrates me despite my love of it, primarily because of the way it relies on tropes I consider to be downright problematic at times. And so, despite my love for it, and despite the fact that it otherwise is not sexually explicit, I do wonder if I could ever call it aspec-friendly for these reasons.

As I said in that previous post and as someone who often discusses the problems caused in society by an overemphasis on romance, it can be difficult for me to fully embrace a lot of romantic media, despite my love of romance. Like Downton Abbey proves, romantic media can be a minefield of various aspec-unfriendly elements, and even my favorite romantic pairings, stories, and tropes can be a slippery slope. Even the fandoms of these pieces of media can contribute to that discomfort in various ways. But this is where accidentally aspec vibes can play such an important role, and that’s part of what I want to explore in today’s post.

Just like the idea of designating something as “aspec friendly” or “aspec unfriendly” can be a challenge, quantifying what gives something “aspec vibes” is especially difficult. Using this term is often something I do when I have no other way to really describe what I’m seeing in characters – something which is especially difficult thanks to the pronounced lack of aspec representation of any kind in media. Just like these other terms, the idea of aspec vibes can change from person to person or depending on the situation, so I do my best when using this admittedly lacking term. But in my experience, something gives me aspec vibes when I can imagine the characters might be on the asexual spectrum, or when the media they’re in handles them, their relationships, and their stories in ways that are not inherently reliant on the usually sexual and/or romantic tropes media teaches us to see. Again, I realize this might be a little confusing, but I hope it might become clearer as I discuss the media I want to discuss today.

Ladyhawke



First up in today’s post is Ladyhawke, a 1985 fantasy film. The story begins by introducing us to Phillipe Gaston, a young thief in medieval France who finds himself, quite by accident, ensnared in the story of two star-crossed lovers – the lovely Isabeau and the stalwart Navarre. Two years earlier, the Bishop of Aquila coveted Isabeau and was incensed when he discovered she was already in love with Navarre, and thereby called upon the powers of Hell to curse the pair for eternity. [Spoilers!] The curse ensures they are together, but can never truly be with one another – during the day, Isabeau is forced to take on the form of a hawk, and by night, Navarre transforms into a wolf. When Phillipe escapes the dungeon of Aquila, he encounters Navarre, who wishes for Phillipe to help him in the impossible task of sneaking back into Aquila so he can finally kill the bishop in revenge for the curse, but the young thief instead finds himself invested in the story of the lovers in anticipation of the day that something comes to finally lift the curse that binds them.

So here’s the thing about Ladyhawke. I had heard of the film and knew its basic plot previously thanks to things I had seen online, but knew very little other than the hook of two lovers cursed to be together but separated from each other by this curse. So, when I happened to see that the film was free on YouTube at the time, I of course sat down to watch it with zero expectations; I was surprised to find that the movie is schlocky, a little madcap, and completely delightful. I am not ashamed to admit I fell in instant love with this movie and have watched it three times in the past two months.

The best way I can describe the movie is that it feels a little like The Princess Bride, but whereas The Princess Bride is deliberately glib and tongue-in-cheek about its goofier elements, Ladyhawke is played completely serious. For instance, there is a scene where Navarre attacks someone in his wolf-form and the first thing that sprang to mind for me was the Rodents of Unusual Size scene in The Princess Bride – if you know, you know. Add to that an anachronistically synth-heavy (and very 80’s) soundtrack, some strange direction/editing choices, and several plotholes, and it’s quite a ride, but as I said, one that I can’t help but enjoy.

I’ve had a lot of fun with this movie and I sincerely believe that, despite the weirdness of certain choices or the corniness of some elements, there’s a lot to like – especially the characters. But obviously, the core of this story is the romance between Isabeau and Navarre, and not only do I think the romance really works, but I found myself surprised and delighted by how accidentally aspec their relationship is. The plot drops us in the middle of Navarre and Isabeau’s story – we are never told much about how they met or how their relationship developed, we see nothing about how their curse first came to be or how they handled it, and in fact the two only get to actually interact for about five minutes of the movie. Normally, as both a romance writer and enjoyer, this would bother me, since I feel a believable romance has to be one that develops naturally and organically; but somehow, Ladyhawke makes the romance between the pair as achingly perfect as if we got to see them interact the entire time.

The reason for this, I think, is two-fold. The first reason is that the film plays with tropes that I already love, such as giving us a strong and established pair from the get-go who persevere even when their love is tested. The second reason is because, while the film makes good use of certain love story tropes like the one I just mentioned, it’s able to very deliberately sidestep other ones primarily because Isabeau and Navarre never interact. We are dropped into the middle of their cursed existence, since the movie begins when they have already been cursed for two years, but we can see that the pair still loves one another as much as they ever did, and that is not only powerful, but very aspec-friendly if you ask me.

After my first viewing, in which I realized just how much I enjoyed the film, I found myself thinking about it, and realized that the curse makes Isabeau and Navarre’s love so much more powerful because it takes it out of a realm of physical attraction or physicality in general and moves it into the realm of something so much more tender. The curse makes it so that Isabeau and Navarre haven’t been able to share much more than a brief glance in over two years, but their love still remains strong and their desire to be together motivates them, even as they face danger at every turn.

Their love doesn’t rely on the superficial elements, nor on anything grander than just the devotion they share. Throughout the entire movie, they only ever share a brief kiss, showing that a romance so tender and inspiring doesn’t need passionate kisses or romantic scenes to be quietly powerful; if anything, I find Isabeau and Navarre a more believable pair than many other romantic couples that do have those grand elements, and their love story is all the more epic exactly because it doesn’t include these things. It’s the kind of romance I wish there was more of, since it shows the power of romance without making it forced, in-your-face, or ubiquitous. That, I believe, is truly romantic.

Seeking Persephone



In late June, my dear friend Laura sent me a message on our personal Discord server with a simple thesis: “I think I found our new obsession.” What followed were links to short videos she had been watching, all focused on a show called Seeking Persephone, and let me tell you, when Laura predicted we would soon be obsessed, truer words have never been spoken. When it comes to writing romance, Laura is often my partner in crime; as such, she knows what speaks to me in a romance, and often feels the same thanks to her own identity. Therefore, it’s not exactly surprising that our new obsession includes these things, but it has definitely added to our enjoyment of this new piece of media. And it has, undoubtedly, contributed to the success of this show in general.

Adapted from the novel of the same name by romance author Sarah M. Eden, Seeking Persephone follows a young woman named Persephone Lancaster, the eldest daughter of a struggling family, who finds her life unexpectedly changing direction when she receives an extremely lucrative marriage proposal from Adam Boyce, the Duke of Kielder. Although she knows nothing about him and the prospect is somewhat overwhelming, the staggering sum he offers for her hand in marriage will save her family from ruin, so she accepts.

Meanwhile, her bridegroom is not looking forward to the match, which has been suggested to him as a way of protecting his estate from potentially being inherited by a cousin in future. His hope is that the woman chosen for him is someone who will be swayed by a need of the money and, with any luck, will be desperate enough to accept him. Why? Because Adam’s face is extensively scarred – thanks to childhood surgeries to try and “locate” the ear he was born without, we find out later. Adam’s scars, both external and internal, have led him to cultivate a cold personality, his reputation fearsome and unyielding.

But, as Persephone is able to quickly discover, most of this is Adam’s way of keeping people from hurting or abandoning him, something which he’s experienced habitually throughout his life. Underneath the pain and frustration, there lies a tender heart, one which Persephone is able to unlock as time goes on and genuine romance begins to blossom between them. What follows is a beautiful and emotional slow-burn romance set in Regency-era England with amazing characters and a story so memorable that Laura and I have basically been telling everyone we know about why they should watch it and get as obsessed as we are.

The reasons for my obsession with the show are obvious – I’m a sucker for a well-told slow burn, I love memorable characters, and the show makes terrific use of so many romantic story beats that I just adore, including two romantic leads who understand one another. As Persephone’s name doubtless demonstrates, the story contains some elements of the story of Hades and Persephone, as well as elements of the similar story of Beauty and the Beast, both of which just serve to make the story all the more delightful, offering humanizing twists on familiar characters archetypes and ideas.

But of course, a huge reason why this show captured me so much is because most of Adam and Persephone’s relationship unfolds slowly and tenderly. The love that blossoms between them feels like an incredibly deep bond, forged not through the physical, but through the emotional, so much so that I have personally started headcanoning Adam in particular as a demisexual character – something that I will doubtless discuss in future posts. While Adam coding to me as aspec is not the only reason why the story feels aspec friendly, it certainly contributes to the idea of it, because Adam being this way is respected; his character is explored and his motives are understood in ways that I find deeply moving.

In many cases, a character of any stripe being respected like this is very rare, something that is underscored if you choose to view Adam through the lens of being demisexual and/or demiromantic. Even when his friends and family urge him not to let Persephone’s love slip through his fingers, it never feels like they’re bullying him to do something he doesn’t want to do. They recognize he wants Persephone in his life but doesn’t believe he can be the man she needs, and so their advice is sincere in a way that other media (I’m looking at you again, Downton Abbey) doesn’t manage to accomplish.

Additionally, the fact that the show chooses to focus on the romantic element and not the physical element is not a bug, it’s a feature, and the show does so with such aplomb. The physicality that is there consists of a few (admittedly fantastic) kisses on rare occasion, but mostly relies on the tenderness of gentle touches, yearning looks, and quiet gestures whose true depths run deep. It’s refreshing to see that this was all done on purpose, and to know that for many people, the appeal of Seeking Persephone – both the book/the book series it’s a part of, and the miniseries – is this element specifically.

In previous posts, I’ve alluded to and even outright discussed some of the struggles with defining media that doesn’t engage in explicit content. Oftentimes, this media is referred to as “clean,” something which makes sense when you consider how sexually explicit content is often referred to as “smutty” or “dirty,” but I think calling this media “clean” can be incredibly loaded. In other instances, it’s common to see media with explicit content referred to as “spicy” or that media with explicit content has “spice,” making their non-explicit counterparts “no spice.” I can generally get behind this description, since these monikers are cute – and because “mild” and “spicy” are well-established, non-loaded terms for a lot of things, not just media. However, in many cases, I think some of this “clean”/“no-spice” media could be seen as aspec-friendly just as easily, and I would love to see these pieces of media receive more attention for that fact, a point which I think Seeking Persephone proves amply for me.

Meanwhile, since discovering the miniseries, I have also started diving into the book series. Naturally, being a romance series, the books are heavily reliant on the idea of everyone finding romance and having a romantic “happy ending,” married and with their children. These elements will undoubtedly be wearying for some aspec folk, and for some people, that version of “happily ever after” may take the books out of the realm of aspec-friendly, which is valid. Even I can sometimes have complicated feelings about every person in a piece of media ending up in these traditional relationships, despite enjoying the books and the pairings. However, I am willing to overlook that in this case thanks in large part to how comforting it is to know I can enjoy these books without fear of anything sexually explicit catching me off-guard as is too often the case in other pieces of media. As a sex-repulsed aspec reader, these things have a value that cannot be described.

Additionally, circling back to the miniseries specifically, I have come to realize that the story is very much a piece of comfort media for me now, something which is only possible thanks to its accidentally aspec-friendly nature. This is something Laura understood and agreed with, pointing out how much it helps to know that there will be a happy ending, and that the story will be devoid of many of the usual uncomfortable tropes such as love triangles. There is drama, of course, but the feeling of knowing happiness will come eventually and feel natural is wonderful.

It’s only been a few short months in which I’ve been obsessed with Seeking Persephone, but in that time, I have to say the show has become a favorite and that Adam and Persephone have risen through the ranks of OTP (“one true pairing”), so much so that they even rival Mary and Matthew – and if you read that previous romance post, you know that’s not something I say lightly. I’m not surprised that I’ve become obsessed despite only having been acquainted with the series for a short amount of time, since getting obsessed quickly and utterly is in my nature as a fangirl, but to be able to find such value in this hidden gem is a surprise, and a delightful one. This is thanks to the amazing storytelling, the incredible characters, how delightful the entire cast and crew is, and so much more, but I’d be lying if I said the accidentally aspec element of the series wasn’t a huge contributing factor. Knowing I can always come back to comfortably watch this series is something that will stick with me for a very long time, and something for which I am immensely grateful.

Image description: Yet another picture of Persephone and Adam, because I love them, Your Honor.

As I often say on the blog, being an aspec fangirl is not always easy. In fact, sometimes it’s honestly a miserable and fraught experience, one that leaves me feeling like I’m always on the outside looking in, doomed to never be able to connect with characters, media, or stories in any meaningful way. And this is why these pieces of media give me so much hope and bring me so much joy. Whether it’s something that’s deliberately designed to be free of the elements that often cause me consternation, the way Seeking Persephone was, or something that ends up having these elements largely by accident like Ladyhawke, hidden gems like these make being an aspec fangirl not only a bit easier, but a bit more rewarding.

Despite the fact that I’ve only been acquainted with both pieces of media for a few months, it’s amazing how huge of a role they’ve both played in my creativity and excitement recently in a way I really needed. Having safe pieces of media is something I’ve discussed for a long time – as the aforementioned “Ace Safe Space” posts prove – and the value of having new pieces of safe media cannot be understated. Having these things to fall back on and find comfort in means the world to me; whether or not you need them to play that role for you or are simply looking for fun new pieces of media, I highly recommend them, and hope that maybe this post inspired you to check them out.

I firmly believe we need more pieces of media like this – more options for people like me who need these things, and for people of various persuasions who want them. In the case of a show like Seeking Persephone, seeing how well the show has been received thus far is extremely encouraging as an aspec viewer, and it makes me feel a glimmer of hope that other projects like this one might enjoy similar success (or, you know, a second season of this one that adapts some of the other books in the series, mayhaps?).

I want to see pieces of media like this be accepted as much as “spicy” pieces of media are, since I believe such a thing will not only pave the way towards greater aspec acceptance, but will make the media landscape better in general. But I also want to see more media like this to prove that I am not alone and that people like me don’t need to give up watching our favorite genres or opting out of our favorite mediums because we can’t find things that represent us. It reminds me that there are places for us out there, we just have to find them – and, above all, we have to be allowed to dwell comfortably in them, whether they’re intentionally aspec, accidentally aspec, or something in between.

Comments

Popular Posts