My Quirky Asexual and Aromantic Headcanons

Image description: A scene from the 2003 Japanese animated film, Howl's Moving Castle. One of the characters in this scene is one I headcanon as on the asexual or aromantic spectrum. Read on to find out more.

Hey, everyone. If you’ve read my previous post, you know these last few weeks have been extremely hard on me. As such, I haven’t been doing a lot in terms of work on the blog recently, and have decided to switch things up in order to make this week a bit easier on myself. Given the nature of my update schedule, this is my last post before Thanksgiving, and so I had originally planned something more in keeping with the themes of the holiday. But I’ve diverted from that topic and instead would like to bring you a topic I wasn’t sure how to include otherwise – taking a look at some offbeat, lesser known, or otherwise quirky characters that I headcanon as on the asexual and/or aromantic spectrums. Because some of these things are less mainstream, it may not be the most relatable post, but I think it’s the levity I myself might need during these tough times. I hope you enjoy it as well, and maybe even find some new media or characters too.

Spoiler warning! 
Inspector Lewis ("Life Born of Fire")
Merlin (various)
Howl's Moving Castle (especially final scenes)

-----------------------------

Inigo Montoya from the movie The Princess Bride


This one was actually suggested to me recently by a dear friend, and the minute she said it, my reaction was “Why didn’t I think of this before?!” Despite this being a brand new headcanon, I thought I would start with it because The Princess Bride is probably the most recognizable of all the things on my list, and Inigo Montoya is doubtless one of its most iconic characters. If you don’t know the film – or if all you know of Inigo Montoya is his famous quote “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” – then please stop reading this post and go watch it right now. If you don’t have the time or resources to dedicate to that, let me explain. No, there is too much, let me sum up (if you know, you know).

The film – based on the novel of the same name – is a story within a story; the framing narrative is that of a grandfather reading a book called The Princess Bride to his grandson, who is home sick. The tale itself centers on the love story between Buttercup and Westley, a pair whose true love is tested when Westley is presumed dead and Buttercup is forcibly betrothed off to the kingdom’s ill-intentioned prince. Early in the story, Buttercup is kidnapped by three individuals, one of whom is Inigo Montoya, an honorable Spanish swordsman who is seeking revenge on the man who killed his father years earlier (just in case that wasn’t clear). Despite his earlier role as one of Buttercup’s kidnappers, Inigo is a good man who just wants to focus on bringing his father’s killer to justice. And so he later aids the main characters to great effect and – spoiler alert – indeed manages to find the man who killed his father.

I must confess that I actually came to the movie a bit late in life (I only saw it for the first time in my early teens) and I never actually read the book. A quick look at Wikipedia reveals that Inigo did seem to have a previous romantic relationship in the original source material, but looking strictly at the movie, we don’t see anything like that for his character at all, with the plot instead focusing on Inigo’s revenge only. I figure at least some of this is due to the nature of the movie, in that we’re not really seeing flashbacks of any kind as are employed in the book because the movie instead cuts to scenes of the grandfather and grandson pair reading and reacting to the novel as they go. But that framing device unintentionally works out well for me and for this headcanon of movie-Inigo being somewhere on the asexual or aromantic spectrums. Inigo’s extremely singular focus makes it easy to imagine that justice for his father is all he really cares about, and even the ending – where it is suggested he might make a good pirate – has Inigo considering something else that isn’t likely to be romance orientated (again, looking just at the movie; the book ending is a bit different and his fate is a bit more unsure). In a media landscape where it is easy to assume people’s next and greatest motivation in life should be to find romance, especially in such a romantic story, the fact that Inigo gets to be a non-romantic character in the film is pretty great.

In fact, I think the story being so heavily focused on romance is actually a great thing for this type of headcanon, ironically enough. Because the story is meant to be a sort of gloriously tropey fairy tale romance, there is a clear focus on the romance between Buttercup and Westley exclusively, which means – apart from a joke here or a silly scene there – there really isn’t the time or space to explore the relationships of other characters. This is a rare treat for someone like me, in which I get to enjoy the romance between the leads, but can still find some non-romantic people to get attached to as well, a sort of best of both worlds. The focus on Buttercup and Westley is a gift, because it largely leaves everyone else’s personal lives up to interpretation; thus, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to assume whatever you want about each of them, as my friend and I are doing with Inigo Montoya. Or, perhaps it’s more appropriate to say, you may headcanon as you wish.

Father Mulcahy from the television series M*A*S*H


Something I love doing is watching classic television with my dad. If you read my second Safe Space list, you’ll see that The Twilight Zone has featured quite prominently in this hobby here of late, but before that, one of the shows I watched with him was M*A*S*H, the classic show about the 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (hence the show’s title) during the Korean War. The show itself is probably not a place where one would usually go looking for aspec representation, due to the subject matter, its characters and their relationships, and the fact that it was produced during the 70’s and 80’s while depicting events that happened in the 50’s. However, I can’t help but find a good headcanon aspec character in Father Mulcahy, the army chaplain for the 4077th.

Now, there is a bit of an issue with headcanoning a character who is a priest as asexual and/or aromantic, specifically that Catholic priests take vows of celibacy and celibacy being mistaken with asexuality is a frequent problem. The chief difference between the two, of course, is that celibacy is a choice and asexuality is an orientation, and the notion that asexual or aromantic people choose to be so can become offensive very quickly. However, I plan on doing a post in the future exploring celibacy and the way it too is treated in media, because, despite the differences between it and the orientation of asexuality, I do think there are valuable things to be gleaned from it. But back to Father Mulcahy specifically, and why I specifically headcanon him as aspec rather than merely celibate.

Throughout the series, there are several times where Father Mulcahy doesn’t just seem like he’s abstaining from sex by choice, but rather that sex and romance actually make him a bit uncomfortable. Naturally, not all aspec people are made uncomfortable by sex, but as a sex-repulsed asexual myself, I tend to find this very relatable. Additionally, despite the fact that it can sometimes be problematic representation, the notion of a character being made uncomfortable by sex or romance is often used as a shorthand for non-sexual or non-romantic characters – and in this case, it feels like it transcends just the celibate choice of a Catholic priest. There are moments where Father Mulcahy will remove himself from situations where sexual conversations are taking place, or where he will seem to not know what’s going on in sexual situations. Again, these types of things can sometimes make for bad representation, but to me, they are relatable.

Additionally, the fact that Father Mulcahy is respected by many of the other characters is a great way of avoiding the usual tropes. While a lot of that respect indeed comes about because he is a priest, a lot of it also comes about because they just respect him as a person, which is vitally important. Having allosexual characters treat non-sexual and/or non-romantic characters with respect despite being different than they are is, in my opinion, the alchemical formula that can usually make representation better, simply because you are showing these characters are valid. Therefore, although Father Mulcahy may be a strange or unexpected headcanon, I can’t help but feel he’s a good one.

James Hathaway from the television series Inspector Lewis


The character of Detective Sergeant James Hathaway from the show Inspector Lewis (known in the UK as simply Lewis) is probably one of my most dearly held obscure aspec headcanons. As the (American) title of the show probably demonstrates, the show is mystery show, staring the titular detective with Sergeant Hathaway as his sidekick as they solve crime in and around Oxford. Hathaway, however, transcends merely just being "the sidekick" by being delightfully and dryly snarky, incredibly intelligent, and, at least in my view, full of wildly relatable aspec vibes.

Keeping with the priest theme, Hathaway trained to be a priest out of college, but due to guilt over a major mistake decides to leave the priesthood and become a police officer. I think it can be argued that some of Hathaway’s non-sexual/non-romantic vibes in the series stem from the fact that he originally wanted to be a priest; however, unlike Father Mulcahy, the fact that Hathaway has not been in the seminary for many years by the time the series begins seems enough to make me say the aspec vibes can’t just be chalked up to this background. For instance, there are a few different episodes where Hathaway is shown to be awkward around women (which, as aforementioned, can be a bit of a problematic shorthand at times, but is nevertheless a good indicator to use when trying to look for an aspec headcanon), and even episodes that seem to show he doesn’t view love in a romantic sense.

In “Life Born of Fire,” the seventh episodes of the series, Hathaway is asked what love means to him and to define something he loves. He replies that he loves the bells of Oxford in what seems to me to be a completely genuine and unironic moment. He seems to be saying that the reliability and consistency of the bells is a comfort to him, which makes sense to me, since he doesn’t really get to live a stable or consistent life. The episode centers on themes of homophobia, discrimination, and the idea that people should be allowed to love who and what they love, and yet the character who asks Hathaway this question uses it as an excuse to imply he is bland, out of touch, and perhaps even denying the fact that he’s missing happiness in his life. These are all common things aspec people hear, making this scene painfully relatable.

Additionally, when this question is set before Hathaway, he seems confused as to why he is being asked such a question in the first place. The character who asks it derisively comments on Hathaway being “middle-aged,” and Hathaway angrily retorts “don’t patronize me just because I don’t [have sex] every Friday night.” He doesn’t seem bitter about the fact that he’s unattached, at least in my view; rather, he seems annoyed at the implication that he must be sexually or romantically involved in order to be seen as valid or fulfilled. Earlier in the episode, he expresses similar annoyance about the black and white distinctions people try to make between heterosexuality and homosexuality, debunking the ridiculousness in thinking heterosexual people must act one way and homosexual people surely must act another. Again, this is keeping with the themes of the episode, but it also feels very genuinely aspec, as I’m sure many aspec people like myself – and indeed any person who identifies using a lesser-known queer identity – often experience the strain of feeling like they have to be one thing or the other.

Later, in this same episode, Hathaway almost has a sexual encounter with one of the characters, but doesn’t seem particularly eager for it. Rather, he seems broken and dejected from the feelings of guilt and alienation the current mystery has stirred up within him. The encounter never actually happens (due to plot related drama that I won’t spoil), but even when it looks like it might happen, Hathaway seems more like he’s seeking emotional comfort than any kind of physicality and is just allowing it to happen in an effort to feel something other than pain. Furthermore, his potential partner even makes the comment that Hathaway is trembling; he replies with “it’s been a while,” but I would argue it might be more likely that Hathaway is actually a virgin, although this is never confirmed.

Unfortunately, like many characters, Hathaway is a victim of inconsistent writing. This is something that happens a lot when shows have multiple writers, and different writers choose to conceptualize a character differently, thus leading to huge variations in their personality from season to season or episode to episode. In Hathaway’s case, despite episodes like “Life Born of Fire” and other episodes later in the series where that aforementioned awkwardness around women comes up, there are other episodes that imply he had previous romantic relationships, especially when it’s necessary for some drama in the case of the week. However, this doesn’t preclude Hathaway from being aspec in some capacity - whether that means he’s asexual or demisexual without being aromantic, or whether it can simply be chalked up to Hathaway thinking he was allosexual when he was younger and then coming to live a more non-sexual or non-romantic life as he got older and he knew more about himself. Or maybe I myself am simply overthinking things because I would absolutely love to have this snarky, cerebral, multi-dimensional character also be an aspec character. The show keeps it a little bit purposely vague what Hathaway’s sexual orientation is, so nothing is confirmed either way, and as such I will probably keep holding onto Hathaway as one of my favorite headcanon aspec characters of all time.

Morgana from the television series Merlin


Merlin as a series is one I mentioned in my second Ace Safe Space list. A family-friendly retelling of Arthurian Legend, Merlin focuses on the usual suspects of lore, albeit a bit younger as we explore their coming of age and maturation into the roles people often know from other stories. The fact that the show was conceived of as a more family-friendly version of Arthurian Legend is why it’s a personal favorite and included on my safe space list. But despite this fact, there are nevertheless many romances for various characters throughout the series – these include the obvious for characters like Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot (I say again, if you know, you know), but also for Merlin himself. However, there is one main character/series regular who is notably romance-less throughout the entire series – Morgana Pendragon.

Now, having Morgana as a headcanon AroAce character raises an age-old question about whether aspec villains are problematic or not – an issue I plan on tackling in its own post at some point in the future – and I think it could be argued that Morgana is probably romance-less because she’s going to be set up to be the villain later. However, despite that fact, I think Morgana’s lack of romantic relationships is nevertheless notable, especially because losing a romance or being betrayed by a lover are used as common tactics to turn characters into villains (sometimes even within Merlin itself). Morgana doesn’t have that, and I would argue that that makes her slow descent into villainy far better. Rather, Morgana begins turning bad because she is denied being her true self, is betrayed by those around her, and is treated cruelly because of who and what she is. It is not because of a romance or a lack of romance, nor because she is cold and lacks friendship, the way aspec villains are sometimes portrayed. Thus, I have no problem headcanoning her as aspec despite her villain status, especially considering she is a nuanced and multi-faceted villain who started off as a hero, and that makes for a wickedly good story.

Prince Justin from the movie Howl’s Moving Castle


Howl’s Moving Castle, a 2003 fantasy film by the Japanese animation studio Studio Ghibli, is one of my favorite films of all time (as well as a Safe Space item). Centering on the fantastic story of Sophie, an ordinary girl pulled into the extraordinary world of magic, wizards, and curses, the film is poignant, visually stunning, and full of amazing characters. Which probably makes it seem pretty strange that, amid the romance, drama, intrigue, and magic, the character I choose to headcanon as aspec is a character whose true identity is completely obscured for most of the film – Prince Justin, the prince whose disappearance from the neighboring kingdom is what plunges our characters into war throughout most of the story.

Now, if you’ve seen the movie, I know what you’re probably thinking – How can the prince be on the asexual or aromantic spectrum? The entire way his curse was broken was by true love’s kiss! And you would be right. Honestly, this is one of those headcanons that isn’t actually really based on any evidence from the source material, especially since the prince is cursed into the form of a mute scarecrow nicknamed Turnip-Head for most of the film. But even so, I can’t help but be amused by the notion that Justin mends his broken heart from his true love being in love with someone else by realizing that his feelings were actually because he felt like he had to have them rather than actually being in romantic love, or that what he thought was love was actually just gratitude. Again, there is literally nothing in the film to suggest this is true, and I don’t really expect to find canon aspec representation in an anime film from 2003.

Furthermore, I’ll admit I’ve never read the book on which the film is loosely based, but from a quick glance through the plot and character descriptions, it seems Prince Justin has no love interest in the book as well, although a fantasy novel published in 1986 is also likely not going to be a place to find canon representation either. As such, Justin is a rare exception to my usual rule of aspec headcanons – although it’s tempting for me to just headcanon everyone and everything I like as aspec or aspec-adjacent, I usually try to refrain from making such a headcanon unless a character really presents aspec vibes. And, given we see Justin in his human form for literally two minutes at the end of the movie, he doesn’t really show any of those vibes. But maybe it’s just me wanting to see Justin have a happy ending, albeit an unconventional one, and so here we are, the last of my quirky headcanons.

------------------------

As I said in the intro, this is my last post before the holiday, and indeed one of my last for the year. After this, I am planning two more posts, one of which will be a recap of this year on the blog. I will say more then, but please allow me to say now that I am beyond thankful you choose to spend your time reading my musings and am very, very grateful for the support you have given me.

Wishing those who celebrate a very happy Thanksgiving,

The Asexual Geek

Comments

Popular Posts