The Asexual Geek's 2021 Recap

Image description: This hand gesture is known as a "Korean heart" (image obtained from Google Images). The heart-shaped asexual flag is my addition, and if you've read my posts this year, I'm sure it's not difficult for you to guess why I've picked this image to symbolize 2021. Today I recap the posts of this year, revisit some final points, and, of course, thank all of you once again for coming on this journey with me!
 

To my dearest friends and readers – this has been a very up and down year for me. From utter heartbreak to surprising triumph, it feels like I’ve experienced it all. And in many cases, I’ve put it here in my blog to process, to relate it back to my identity, and to throw a little light on my experiences. And in every case, you all have been lovely, amazing, and supportive. From this blog’s inception, I have been grateful to you for helping me, for suggesting things to me, and for reading my posts, but this year I am extra grateful for all the support that many of you have shown me in other ways. I’ll be stepping back a bit for the holidays, so this is my last post of 2021. As such, I wanted to take a chance to review where I’ve been this year as one last opportunity to share my thoughts – and my gratitude. Care to join me on one last walk through some of the topics of this emotional year?

Spoiler warning! 
Belle Revolte

-------------------------------------------------------

The “How to Write” series

As a writer, there is probably nothing quite so meta as writing about writing. This year, I embarked on a series of posts about just that – the “How to Write Aspec Characters” series, which covered everything from how to write asexuality and romance, to how to write non-aspec characters or stories that don’t invalidate aspec identities. Of course, like everything on this blog, these tips were extremely subjective, covering what I myself personally feel makes for good aspec representation and the ways writers might be able to include these. Obviously there are many different paths aspec characters can take, but I hope my insights might provide a good jumping off point and encourage writers and readers alike to think about non-sexual and non-romantic characters from a new lens.

In 2020, when I did the trope series, I did see examples where aphobia in media seemed to be done deliberately, but I saw many, many more where aphobic tropes happened simply due to lack of knowledge. Because asexuality, aromanticism, and their related identities are still relatively unknown, it can be difficult for writers – whether that means the writing staff of a major TV show or someone writing a fanfic – to separate what have become common genre conventions with what is actually good storytelling. My series of posts, although a short series and without much influence, is hopefully a good first step at showing how you can embrace a genre without embracing all of the problematic tropes that come with it.

In fact, this series relied a lot more heavily on my tropes series than even I was expecting. In discussing writing conventions, I ended up thinking even more deeply about the tropes we see in media that contribute to aphobia or perpetuate negative stereotypes about aspec people – and indeed identities of all kinds. This is why I also felt compelled this year to talk about how aphobia hurts allosexual people too, or how to write non-aspec characters in ways that lift up everyone. These issues don’t exist in a vacuum, and when we see writing conventions that are damaging to aspec people, such as the “denying yourself happiness” trope or the “hard to get” trope, these things affect all people. I haven’t even discussed these in great detail, but talking about these tropes and others, as well as how to replace them with better representation, is so important. I hope I was able to convey some hope with this series to make up for a lot of the bad representation out there. In some ways, the series came and went before I even realized it, but I had a lot of fun with it, and I hope you all had as much fun reading it.

Suggestions From Friends

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this at least once before on the blog, but something I find extremely flattering and humbling is when the people in my life tell me that my blog or having discussions with me about aspec issues has broadened their own horizons. For example, my best friend is also my proofreader and sometimes topic brainstormer, and I am always so thrilled when she tells me that reading my posts has given her new insights into her favorite pieces of media. Something my best friend has also done for me is give me an allosexual perspective on a lot of things, which gave me the ideas for posts such as “How Aphobia Hurts Allosexual People Too”, and the way she interacts with me and my work has formed a lot of the basis of my advice for other allies.

Suggestions from friends gave me so much this year. Last year, I had an entire post dedicated to recommendations of aspec characters from my dearest friends and, although I didn’t do a post like that this year, I had a tremendous amount of support and wonderful conversations with my friends about various posts or topics. Talking to my friends gave me new ideas for topics that I hope to cover in 2022, as well as fresh insights into the topics I covered this year. Sometimes these insights were not things I could include in posts at the time, due to the fact that I was already getting extremely long-winded and didn’t want the posts to become unreadably long. But I kept the notes specifically so I could address them in a post like this.

One such fantastic insight was courtesy of my bestie and editor extraordinaire on the book review post I did for Linsey Miller’s Belle Revolte (spoilers ahead!). The novel takes place in a fantasy setting and centers on two magic-wielding young women named Emilie and Annette – the latter of whom is asexual – who fight a war against the corrupt ruling class of their nation. By the end of the book, the main characters both find themselves without magic, having sacrificed all of their power in the grueling war. In my review, I discussed feeling torn about this – on the one hand, it’s an excellent way to portray the sacrifice and loss that the war inflicted on both of our main characters, but on the other hand, watching them lose a part of themselves was deeply uncomfortable for me.

When my bestie read my review, she made an excellent point, first about how magic is often used in fantasy works as a shorthand for queer and other minority identities, especially in fantasy worlds where magic is considered a rarity or is discriminated against. She noted that, in this case, Annette’s ace identity is explicitly separate and unique from her magic. Her magic does not make her asexual, nor is her magic used as the only shorthand for her identity. Because the story is set in a sort of historical fantasy setting, the term “asexual” is never explicitly used; however, a lot of Annette’s narration, as well as her coming out to her love interest, all do an excellent job of making it clear that she does not experience sexual attraction. My bestie pointed out that this doesn’t change, despite the fact that Annette loses her magic. It really helped reframe the situation for me and deepened my appreciate for the story even more.

I am frequently uncomfortable to find that a character’s aspec tendencies get erased in media through some method or another (like Cole in Dragon Age, for example). Therefore, it is actually extremely rare and noteworthy to see a character who is changed by the events of a story but retains their identity. I really appreciate that - and came to appreciate it primarily through the amazing insights of my bestie. This is true in a lot of senses, and in ways that happen behind the scenes of so many posts. Everyone from my friends to my parents to strangers on the internet can help me see my topics through new lens, and I find it amazing to think that, for as much as I may influence them, they influence me just as much. This year, more than ever, I was grateful for my support system and all the people who make this blog possible. Which leads me nicely into my next point.

Getting personal

Throughout 2020, I was committed to giving you my real opinions on asexuality and aromanticism in media. I covered some media I know in passing, some media I didn’t really know until I did research, and even media I straight-up detest (*makes “I’m watching you” motion at House episode “Better Half”*). But, more often than not, I was doing analysis on things I truly love – everything from Star Trek to BTS songs. My description of the blog as covering what I consider to be the good, the bad, and the ugly of media is proof of how deeply personal and subjective every bit of analysis I did was; but even though this entire project has been very personal from the beginning, I’ve always felt like writing as “The Asexual Geek” rather than just “Rachel” has allowed me to hover above most topics, even when they’re personally important to me.

This year, I definitely feel like I was Rachel every bit as much as I was the Asexual Geek. Obviously, in my day-to-day life I am both an aspec woman and a geek, and so I will always be both, but in 2021 my posts reflected it more than ever before too. A lot of this is because of the deeply personal loss of my beloved pet of fifteen years, and the way losing her has impacted me over the last two months of the year. But even before she passed away, I found myself struggling in a deeply personal sense as I felt pushed out of safe spaces online or dealt with the sense of feeling alienated even in things that give me comfort. It was hard not to let those things affect me, and as such, I think my analysis tended to take on an even more personal and emotional tone than the analytical one I took for many posts in 2020. Of course, I’ve also been perfectly willing to bring my readers into my triumphs too, such as my most recent post about my search for belonging, another deeply personal topic for me.

Many of my readers are friends, family members, or other people I know in real life, but I also have a lot of readers whom I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting. I think using the internet regularly can sort of desensitize us to the fact that we can interact with people all around the world, people whose lives can be similar to ours and also very different. That is an incredible blessing, but it does also make me nervous when I consider it too closely. How do people I don’t know feel about seeing such personal material from a blog about asexuality in media? Do I have enough courage to share these things so openly? I surprised myself a great deal in 2021 by sharing these things candidly and with truth. While it wasn’t always easy, I’m glad I did so. It was very cathartic for me to write about many of these personal topics, and I can only hope that someone out there – whether they know me personally or not – was able to find it helpful.

I know that I will still be personally feeling the effects of 2021 into the next year and beyond, both good and bad. Like 2020, this year has been one of challenges, and it was, in many cases, difficult beyond words to navigate. But in so many other cases, sharing my thoughts on this blog really helped me process what I was going through, and helped me continue forward. I think I can honestly say that I would not have survived this year without my friends and readers, this blog, and your continued support both online and off. For so much of the year, especially the last quarter of it, it felt like so many things happened so quickly that I experienced them all without actively processing them, so being able to process them here with you has been so important to me. The good, the bad, and the ugly is as much a part of life as it is my analysis, but because of you, I feel it’s possible to focus on the good rather than the bad.

Thank you for being a part of my journey this year and I hope you’ll come with me next year as well.

With all my platonic love,

The Asexual Geek/Rachel

Comments