Lessons Learned From Headcanon Aspec Characters

Image description: An image from the game Dragon Age: Inquisition in which the squad all sits down to play cards. As we approach Thanksgiving here in America, this seemed like the perfect image to represent coming together with friends and family to spend quality time. This image also features three characters I headcanon as being on the asexual and/or aromantic spectrums, one of whom is a big part of today's post about things I've learned from some of my favorite headcanon aspec characters. (Image not mine; obtained from this video, all credit to the owner)

This is a post that I’ve had in mind for a long, long time. Originally, I had intended to cover this topic back in 2020 as my pre-Thanksgiving post, but 2020 being what it was, I had other things I wanted to talk about, and delayed this post to 2021. However, I was going through some personal things in late 2021, and as such, I didn’t have the emotional bandwidth to discuss this topic, so it once again got pushed off. And, in addition to those things, for as much as I had a vague idea for this post and things that crossed my mind periodically to discuss during it, I didn’t have anything especially concrete, which is part of why it became so easy to continually kick it down the road. But I feel I’m at last in a good position to begin this discussion, which is all about some of my favorite aspec headcanons. While that sounds like a topic I’ve discussed many times before, I think today I have a unique spin on it, just in time for this season of thankfulness.

When it comes to some of my favorite headcanon asexual/aromantic spectrum characters, there’s a lot I feel can be learned from them. All of these characters are ones I’ve done individual posts about, and in those posts I acknowledge that my headcanons are probably just that – in fact, many of these characters are actively treated as non-aspec in the media they’re featured in, their aspec tendencies being retconned, ignored, or waved away. But even if these characters are not aspec, I believe their struggles are relatable to non-sexual and/or non-romantic people, and that they should be relatable for people in general, regardless of identity. So for this post, I’d like to take a look at a selection of my fave headcanons and look at the lessons they teach me about myself, my identity, and the world around me. Although these lessons are going to be personalized to me and my own interpretation, I hope that you can find just as much meaning and inspiration in them too.

Spoiler warning! 

Star Trek: Voyager ("The Omega Directive"; "Human Error")
Dragon Age: Asunder (ending spoilers)
Dragon Age: Inquisition (general)
Star Trek: The Next Generation ("The Offspring")
-------------------------------------------------------

Seven of Nine from Star Trek: Voyager

Seven of Nine is an obvious favorite of mine, both as a headcanon aspec character and in general. In fact, I just focused on her in my post about the Borg, the cybernetic race she was a part of for most of her life. Unfortunately, many of her seemingly aspec tendencies aren’t well portrayed throughout her time in Trek. In Voyager, they’re largely ignored in favor of shoe-horned romance plots, and I’ve talked at length about how various episodes portray sex or romance as requirements for her humanity. Both Voyager and Star Trek: Picard give her romantic relationships and, while she could of course be aspec and in a romance, I don’t feel that crosses the writers’ minds when they portray her in either series.

Recently, I read a very interesting blog post about Seven, written by Claire Rosemary, who mentions that Seven being asexual likely would have “swerved into the territory of blaming the Borg for her lack of sexual attraction, framing it as something the Borg robbed from her.” While that could have potentially been avoided if the writers were careful enough, I think that – even if they had wanted to portray Seven as non-sexual and/or non-romantic – they would have lacked the context or nuance to pull it off. As Rosemary says, it's more likely it would have either been portrayed on screen as being something tragically stolen from her or interpreted that way by the audience even without explicit mention.

But despite these things, Seven and her journey will always be important to me as an aspec woman. Regardless of how she’s portrayed or written, I believe there will always be things I can draw from Seven’s struggles and apply to my own. Her story is about being “other,” and of trying to understand who she is as she navigates a world that doesn’t fully understand her, or is sometimes even hostile towards her, and that’s my story too. I draw a lot of strength and inspiration in the way Seven adapts, not just to her circumstances, but to the differences in her life and the challenges to her thinking, the latter of which especially forms the basis of my first lesson of today’s post.

Letting Go of “Perfect” Understanding

In my post about the Borg, I mention the Collective’s drive for “perfection,” something Seven retains despite being de-assimilated. In the episode “The Omega Directive,” this comes to a head when the crew encounters “Omega molecules,” which are extremely dangerous and volatile. Starfleet knows this, and has a directive in place that Omega molecules should be immediately destroyed; however, Seven believes the molecules can and should be stabilized, a belief which brings her into conflict with Captain Janeway. While the Omega molecules represent a massive risk in Starfleet’s eyes, to the Borg - and to Seven - they represent perfection. As such, she becomes convinced that understanding them will be an almost spiritual experience and that she needs to see and understand this perfection in order to be whole. The actual plot of the episode is not important for my points here; what is important, however, is the ending. When things eventually go sideways and the crew is forced to change their plans, Seven gets to witness the molecules stabilizing themselves before they're destroyed. It gives her those feelings of spirituality she’d expected, leaving her deeply moved, validated, and almost “seen.” As such, the episode is clearly meant to explore themes of faith and spirituality, but beyond this, I think it also encourages us and Seven to examine our notions of perfection.

Image description: An awed Seven of Nine witnessing the Omega molecules in "The Omega Directive" (Image obtained from TrekCore)

“The Omega Directive” is not the only instance where Seven grapples with this. In fact, this theme is played out to what I feel is extremely heavy-handed effect in her eventual romance with Commander Chakotay. But that fact notwithstanding, I think her quest to do things perfectly and understand things completely raises some interesting points. Throughout her time on Voyager, Seven often studies things she doesn’t understand in order to try and wring meaning out of them. It seems like she believes understanding a thing inside and out is the key to completeness, but quite often, she finds out that it’s not. In some cases, she even finds out that perfect understanding is impossible, a lesson that applies to my life more than I’d like to admit. I often seek “perfect understanding” – whether of my own self, or encouraging others to perfectly understand me in return. Like Seven, I thought this perfection was attainable and I believed if I just do this one thing exactly right, then I’ll have what I need. If I just wrote the perfect blog post, everyone would understand me. If I just said the exact right thing, everyone would respect my boundaries. If I just did this series of events in the proper way, I would finally be perfectly safe and content.

But just like Seven realizes throughout her time on Voyager, I too have come to realize something – I don’t think being “perfectly” or “entirely” understood by other people is even possible, and that’s okay. Perfection as a notion, and especially the concept of “perfect understanding,” are vague and hard to define, to the point where they become more like ideals than viable goals. What exactly does it mean to be “perfectly understood” by another person?  Even for non-aspec people, I think this can probably resonate. We all open up to people in the hopes they will finally understand where we’re coming from – whether in small things or large one; but how often do arguments start because the things we believe passionately are the exact antithesis of things that other people believe just as passionately? And beyond that, how often do we think we understand our own selves just to realize even we don’t entirely know why we feel a certain way, believe a specific thing, or assign import to something? In that sense, it may be impossible to entirely understand ourselves, let alone expect perfect understanding from others.

Much like the Borg say resistance is futile, perhaps seeking “ultimate” understanding is likewise an act of futility. There are many instances where we can embrace being understood by those around us, but at the end of the day, that knowledge and understanding will always be incomplete. There will always be elements of our personalities, identities, thoughts, and feelings, that remain mysteries to us and to others. When Seven seeks perfection throughout Star Trek: Voyager, she is seeking a part of herself, just like her belief that never seeing the Omega molecules will mean she is incomplete. In a way, I’ve always been chasing my own version of that: the mistaken belief that someday I will hit on the right steps that will lead to someone understanding the totality of my being.

But the thing I should seek is understanding my worth. When we form meaningful connections with people, that is what they see – our worth, not our totality. Although the show doesn’t always do a good job of that for Seven, I think there are traces of it when we look at things like her friendship with Naomi Wildman, her mentorship of Icheb, or how Janeway mentors her. There are so many relationships and bonds that Seven forms with the crew of Voyager that, even if they don’t represent perfect understanding, represent an acceptance of her worth. While it will always sting a little to know that the writers more often value romances for Seven over these unique bonds, they’re nevertheless still there for me to cherish and enjoy. And they’re there – just as Seven will always be there – to remind me that my worth is not found in perfection.

Cole from Dragon Age: Inquisition

Anyone who has ever met me probably knows that I love the character of Cole with my entire being. In fact, I have frequently called him “my sweet spirit son,” and I’ve talked about him on this blog about a dozen times at least. He is also a character with the potential to teach lessons unending – to me, to other aspec people, and to people in general. Just to recap who and what Cole is, his first appearance is in the novel, Dragon Age: Asunder and throughout the book, even he has no idea what he is. He has memories of life as a human mage, but now people can’t see or remember him; as such, he’s terrified that he’s not real or that perhaps he might fade away. We eventually learn that the Cole we know is actually a spirit of compassion. There was a “real” Cole who was near death and whose pain summoned a spirit of compassion that tried to help him. When the spirit failed and the young man died, the spirit – twisted by pain and grief – took on his form and forgot that it did so, leading to the muddled and confused experienced we see for the Cole we know in Asunder.

When he returns in Dragon Age: Inquisition, we see a Cole who understands what he is now and knows that his purpose, as a spirit of compassion, is to help people. “I heal the helpless,” he says to describe himself, “I give hope where there is hurt.” I think everyone can learn from that, and perhaps many of us even aspire to that ideal – I know I do. But even more than learning from Cole’s compassion, I think we can learn from how people react to and conceptualize it. Throughout the game, there are those who choose to accept Cole as he is, and those who find him frightening, dangerous, or both. And, when you consider that Cole as a spirit has some recognizable aspec tendencies, the way other people react to him gives us a lesson that goes even deeper than just compassion.

Accepting How Others See Us – Or Don’t See Us

As an aspec person, I think a huge majority of my struggles stem from the notion of reconciling my own sense of self with how others perceive me. This is why so much of my analysis focuses on bad portrayals of aspec tendencies in media, because to me, these offer some of the clearest indicators that the way I feel about myself and how the world feels about me are inherently at odds. That can be extremely difficult – and it’s not just something that aspec people experience. In fact, I think every person at some point will struggle with this exact phenomenon and for some of us, it very well may be crippling, as it sometimes is for me. At other points in my life, the divide between my own perception of myself and the perceptions of others has led me to feeling impotent frustration or deep anger.

In those times, I turn to Cole, because he understands. Although he’s compassion personified, he nevertheless will not hesitate to bring about retribution on those who deserve it. However, he’s learned how to measure this and be reserved, even though it’s sometimes a struggle. This anger makes sense – he wants to protect the helpless and his anger is kindled against those who harm others. In my life, my anger is often kindled against those whose harm is more subtle. Although not all aphobia may be overtly bad or even intentional, I sometimes struggle with the notion of firing back. But just like Cole resists his anger, I try to resist my own urge to make people hurt as I have. And just like Cole admits that’s hard, it’s hard for me too. I want to tear into a lot of media and people in day-to-day life, or things I see on the internet, or hastily made aphobic comments. But instead, I try to be level-headed and fair, and point things out without demanding retribution or compensation. Again, that’s not easy, but Cole reminds me it’s important. While I will always hope for less aphobia in life and more understanding of aspec issues – and while those things are certainly valuable – I do my best to also embrace the reality that, like Cole, some people will never appreciate what I do. 

Cole’s unique style of helping people often takes difficult to understand or even bizarre turns; in dialogue with the spirit expert Solas, Cole himself admits that sometimes the way he helps makes people angry because they can’t understand the motivations behind it. When he explains this, Solas’s reassurance is something I think about a great deal: “Never forget your purpose,” he tells the spirit of compassion. “It is a noble one, even if this world does not understand.” Whether seen or unseen, Cole’s efforts are usually misunderstood, and how often can that be said of so many of us? Oftentimes, the things we value, want, or need are pushed aside because the rest of the world doesn’t assign value to them or chooses not to understand. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try or that we should abandon what is important to fit into their notions.

Image description: Cole, during the aforementioned card game scene of Dragon Age: Inquisition

Of course, as mentioned in other posts, I take issue with one potential option for Cole and how that changes his story. Through specific player choices, it’s possible for Cole to become “more human,” which also means he eventually has a girlfriend. This is not only disappointing, but quite frankly baffling and unnecessary, as I’ve previously discussed. For this post, I don’t want to discuss the results of the “human path”; rather, I want to discuss something in the often-overlooked choice to make Cole more like a spirit, which is the fact that a more spirit-like Cole asserts that this is more like who and what he’s supposed to be. The human path is framed as if it’s a gift, allowing Cole to become what he “should be”, but it’s actually the spirit path that does that. “I’m me,” he says when he becomes more spirit-like. “More me than I was.”

Cole’s line here made me realize something: there are a lot of people who don’t want you to be you. Whether that’s done maliciously or simply out of misunderstanding varies by the circumstance, but there is always going to be someone or something out there that wants you to be “more human,” whatever their definition may be. It might be someone you know personally or someone you follow on social media or a piece of media you consume. “More human” in their eyes might mean “more like me,” or “happier,” or “prettier” – or, in the case of aspec people and many other minority identities, it might mean “less like you are and more like what I know, see, or find comfortable.” Seeing Cole’s story and hearing this line remind me of this fact, and also puts me in mind of more dialogue between Cole and Solas. When Cole wonders if he is a spirit or a demon, Solas remarks, “The two are not so dissimilar, Cole. Although the world may exert a pull in one direction or another, the choice is ultimately yours.”

To me, that is what Cole represents and teaches me: that the world may be trying to constantly pull me and all of us towards a particular outcome, but the choice lies with us. We can choose to embrace ourselves and who we are, rather than reshape ourselves to fit the standard of “more human” by an outside definition. Even if people don’t understand us, the things we do have the power to be noble, and we have the power to accept ourselves. I won’t lie, that isn’t always easy, nor is it easy to accept it when our efforts go unnoticed. But again, Cole provides me comfort. Regarding his own efforts to heal people, he notes there are “too many to ever be done. A sea of tears. But everyone gets a chance.” That’s good enough for me.

Data and Lal from Star Trek: The Next Generation

There are a lot of things that my headcanon aspec characters today have in common, but one of the biggest ones is that they’re not entirely human – Seven, as a former Borg, is often treated as more Borg than person, Cole is a spirit of compassion with a human form, and my last two characters, Data and Lal from Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG), are both androids. As the previously referenced post by Claire Rosemary says and as I’ve discussed in my own posts, there can be many inherent problems with portraying non-human characters as aspec, chiefly because it makes aspec tendencies seem, well, not human.

Given there are several human characters I headcanon as aspec, it may seem a little odd that I instead chose to focus on non-human ones specifically in this post; however, despite some of the problems that exist, I nevertheless believe these characters can teach us a great deal. In the media they’re in, these characters are often used to make commentary on what it means to be human, but in my own focus, they can teach us what it means to be human outside of the usual standards. Perhaps no characters typify this better than Data and his daughter Lal, the latter of whom makes her sole appearance in an episode known as “The Offspring.” Data’s role in TNG is often to explore what it means to be human and to have emotions, something which is explored even more in depth with his ill-fated daughter, whom he creates with the hopes that his own experiences can live on through her. Although this notion never comes to pass, he teaches her, she teaches him, and I believe both of them can teach us a great deal about being human beyond the usual metrics that are assigned to them.

“Effort Yields Its Own Rewards”

Much like Cole, Data and Lal represent the notion of self-worth as compared to how others perceive you. Since Data is a regular character in the show, this theme is explored in great depth with him throughout the series, highlighted in many Data-centric episodes such as “The Measure of a Man” or “Data’s Day.” However, Lal’s single appearance on the show is saturated in this theme and she is a good – albeit tragic – character to deliver this message. For instance, when Lal is activated by Data, she has the appearance of an older teenager or a young adult, but she still lacks a great deal of fundamental knowledge which she tries to learn in a school environment. However, she expresses dismay about the fact that she can’t possibly fit in with any of her peers – younger children fear her, older children mock her, and this is all inherently at odds with how she perceives herself.

Although Lal does not have an emotional reaction to this “othering,” it nevertheless teaches her the lesson that she’s different and that being different means she will be ostracized. As such, she doesn’t want to be different, something that I’ve experienced a great deal in my life chiefly because I too don’t want to be ostracized. I imagine this feeling must be true for many people with identities that are considered “different”; while I’m proud of who I am and don’t actually want to change myself, there are many instances where my mind tricks me into thinking that I do, because it feels like life would be easier. As I mentioned in my recent post about my aspec fears, I know that wouldn’t actually be the case, but it can be easy to fall into that trap just like Lal does, and feel, even if you like who you are, that who you are is leading to you being ridiculed and othered. While this is a problem not with the individual, but rather with those around them, it’s not easy to change the world and so, I think, we often fall into the trap that we should change ourselves instead.

When Lal takes these concerns to her father, he tells her “we must strive to be more than we are,” which is of course tied into Data’s own desires to be more human. However, he also tells her something that I find more poignant, more meaningful, and more relevant to my life – he acknowledges that they, of course, will never truly be human, but that “the effort yields its own rewards.” Again, in Data’s case, he’s referring to the effort to be seen as more human, but I take a different lesson from that. Much like I discussed with Cole and the fact that our efforts, personalities, or unique qualities may go unnoticed, I see Data’s lesson to Lal as reminding me to keep trying even when things seem impossible. Quite often, I look at my life as an aspec person and think I’m wasting my time. I wonder why I even care about these issues or talk about these things. I ask myself if representation even matters or if I should even be discussing it. I sometimes think I should just shut up, go away, and stop trying. But Data’s right, the effort does yield its own rewards.

For Data, Lal, and the other androids like them, humanity will always be just out of their grasp, just like a “normal” life by a lot of people’s definition will never be something I ever have. But that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Data tries to teach his daughter to strive for more, and in my case, I’m reminded that striving for more can mean hoping for more acceptance, representation, etc. And I’m reminded that, even if I never actually get those things, at least I’ve tried. Lal wonders why Data does this, feeling like that constant striving without ever actually achieving the goal is just a reminder of incompleteness. But Data tells her this: “It is the struggle itself that is most important… it does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal.” The use of the word struggle here feels apropos, both for their journey and for my own, and it reminds me that the things I do are never wasted.

Image description: Data teaching Lal about the world around her in "The Offspring"

In “The Offspring,” Lal asks Data what her purpose for being is, and he suggests that their purpose is to “contribute in a positive way to the world around them.” Whatever else, I believe they and the other characters I discuss in this post do exactly that, and they encourage me to do likewise. 2022, like the past two years, has been a tough and challenging year for me in a lot of metrics, causing me to ask a lot of question about myself and what I do. Even though looking at these characters and their lessons gives me only one possible answer for how to move forward, discussing them is nevertheless a valuable reflection. Through Seven, I learn I don’t have to understand and be understood all the time, and that my efforts don’t have to be perfect. Through Cole, I learn to accept how others do or do not see me. And through Data and Lal, I learn that the efforts I make yield their own rewards, even if they don’t yield the result I expect. These lessons combined remind me to keep trying my best, even if things don’t go perfectly, and to believe in my own worth and the worth of my efforts. While those things apply to me as an aspec person quite well, especially thanks to the aspec parallels I see in these characters, I think people of all kinds can draw strength from these – or maybe even take their own lessons from these remarkable characters.

Because of how my update schedule falls, this will be my last post before Thanksgiving, so if you celebrate the holiday, I hope you have a time full of gratitude and time to reflect. If you don’t, I nevertheless hope this season brings you peace of mind and happiness. I will not be posting the Friday after the holiday to give myself a little holiday break, but will be back again the week after as I prepare for my last few posts of the year!

As always, I am thankful for all of you reading this, and wish you a great Thanksgiving – or just a good few weeks. See you in December!

- The Asexual Geek

Comments

Popular Posts