More Of My Quirky Asexual and Aromantic Headcanons

Image description: A scene from the 2012 film adaptation of the musical Les Misérables. "Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of... quirky potentially asexual or aromantic characters?" It doesn't have quite the same ring to it as the original, but that's exactly what today's post is all about - and one of the characters pictured here is on today's list. As I did last year, I am once again taking a look at an eclectic group of characters that I believe have aspec tendencies.

At the end of 2021, I did a post that I called “My Quirky Asexual and Aromantic Headcanons.” In short, it was a post full of characters that I personally believe could be asexual, aromantic, or otherwise on those spectrums, for a variety of reasons. Many of them were either characters that are not widely known (such as James Hathaway from the British mystery show Lewis) or who I didn’t really have enough material or examples on to cover in a full-length post (like Prince Justin from Howl’s Moving Castle), which is why I consider them “quirky.”

Although I didn’t have a lot of material on any of them, and thus decided to group them together, I nevertheless have a lot of characters who fall under this umbrella of “quirky aspec headcanons.” And, since I had a lot of fun with the previous iteration of this post, I decided to do another one. So today, I’m going to take a look at four more characters from a wide range of media who I think could be aspec – or who, at the very least, have some aspec tendencies. From movies to musicals, from books to video games, this crew is full of characters as unique and varied as my media tastes. So without further ado, here is my second crop of quirky aspec headcanons.

Spoiler warning! 
The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film series (various; minor)
Les Misérables (all versions)
Dragon Age II (specifically Sebastian's romance)
The Librarians ("And the Curse of Cindy"; "And the Christmas Thief"; various)

-----------------------------

Legolas from the The Lord of the Rings franchise

Image description: Legolas, as portrayed by Orlando Bloom in Peter Jackson's film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings

I’d like to start with the character on this list who is arguably the best well-known of the group – Legolas, the wise elf from The Lord of the Rings. Because Legolas is more mainstream than many of the other characters on this list, it may seem odd that I’ve chosen to include him with this “quirky” group, but I did so because I think Legolas is a bit of an interesting example, and some people may be wondering why I’ve included him at all. In fact, when many people think of Legolas in a fandom context, their minds likely turn to the fact that he is often shipped with characters like Aragorn or Gimli by the fandom – and in the case of Gimli, given the close relationship of the two characters, I can definitely see why some fans would go there. Additionally, as with many characters, Legolas is not necessary an air-tight example of aspec vibes when we look to adaptations of the work. This is largely because his return in The Hobbit film series adds in a plot point where he seems to have romantic feelings for the female elf Tauriel. All these things may seem like they point to Legolas not being aspec, but I believe he still can be.

In general, The Lord of the Rings is a bit light on romance (something I can appreciate), but it’s still there for various characters. As such, I think it can still be notable when a character isn’t in a romance or when they seem largely uninterested in romance. There are a few characters in the series who fit this description, but I feel like it applies to Legolas especially. The elves are not automatically an aromantic and/or asexual species, but it seems like Legolas is almost like a special case, and goes his whole life caring only about nature and then his friends in the Fellowship. I freely admit that – although The Lord of the Rings as a book series is very dear to me and the movies are spectacular – I am no Tolkien scholar, and I definitely don’t know nearly as much about the lore of his world as more devoted fans do. Therefore, I can’t really speak about Legolas definitively. However, other people can and often do, and I am surprised to know I’m not alone in my analysis.

Other people make very compelling cases for Legolas being aspec – some even believe that he’s an aromantic asexual or that his relationship with Gimli is an example of a queerplatonic relationship rather than a romance, which is a take I could get behind for sure. I'm not really involved in fandom much these days, so I couldn’t tell you if these opinions are welcome within the fandom or lambasted, but I find it extremely heartening that they’re here at all. Additionally, I could have sworn that Orlando Bloom, who plays Legolas in the film series, once said he too envisioned Legolas as being asexual, and actually used the word. However, I’ve looked high and low for that interview, and I’ve never been able to find it again, leading me to wonder if somehow I misremembered or had a very elaborate dream one day, so take that with a huge grain of salt. But regardless of that, I think Legolas could be an amazing aspec character – and in general, I feel he may not be alone in the series (but that’s a topic for another day).

Enjolras from the book/musical/film Les Misérables

Image description: Enjolras, as portrayed by Aaron Tveit in the 2012 film adaptation of Les Misérables

Moving on, we go from Legolas to Enjolras, the leader of the student revolutionaries in Les Misérables. Now, I must confess that I actually do not know much about Les Mis outside of the basics – predominantly, my experience with it comes from the 2012 film. I saw it performed only once (in a high school production I saw years ago to support my friends, some of whom were in the main cast), and I’ve never read the novel. Therefore, a large majority of the things I’ll be saying about the character of Enjolras will be limited to his role in the film, and anything I say about his portrayal in the musical and/or the book will come from other sources, which I’ll clearly link as I go.

Another thing I’d like to say as I analyze Enjolras’s character is that there has been speculation for a long time about the character’s sexuality. In the original novel by Victor Hugo, there is a line about Enjolras that states “he did not seem to know that there was on the earth a being called woman,” which has led many over the years to speculate that he is supposed to be what TV Tropes would call “Ambiguously Gay.” Much like when I discussed the character of Will Byers from Stranger Things, I am in no way, shape, or form attempting to trample on these interpretations of Enjolras’s character when I headcanon him as aspec. Much like I said for Will in that post, it is even entirely possible that Enjolras could be both identities at once or that these things could go hand-in-hand. In fact, on the TV Tropes page for the character, the other trope that seems to commonly describe him is “Celibate Hero” and, although I’ve made my feelings on “celibacy” versus asexuality clear in other posts, this trope does seem to fit my own personal headcanoning for the character pretty well. The fact that the original source material was written in the late 1800’s makes it that actually confirming his identity in any capacity is impossible, but I did want to point out the belief many people have that Enjolras is gay, and the evidence they have to support it, which is definitely compelling. It is not my intention to erase or discredit any of the elements of Enjolras that may be important for other identities’ representation.

With all that being said, I’d like to examine Enjolras a little more and discuss why I personally get aspec vibes from him. The character of Enjolras is a revolutionary student who seeks more rights for the poor and oppressed in France, and this goal is one he values above all else. In the movie, this is especially pronounced and shown in contrast to his good friend Marius, who falls in love during the revolution. When Marius begins talking about his newfound love, Enjolras… doesn’t care. While Enjolras speaks with passion for the revolution and its ideals, Marius likewise goes on poetically about his emotions while Enjolras looks completely unimpressed. He even goes on to say, “Who cares about your lonely soul? We strive towards a larger goal,” and I’m sorry, I can’t help but find this line absolutely hilarious.

Also interestingly – whether Enjolras has aspec vibes or not – is that he completely sidesteps the notion of “non-sexual/non-romantic character = childish.” In fact, in Enjolras’s eyes, Marius is the childish one for not seeing the importance of their goals. While that is certainly indicative of Enjolras’s single-mindedness for his ideals, especially since he claims their own lives don’t matter as they strive for this higher purpose, it nevertheless strikes me as a noteworthy and somewhat unexpected reversal. I’m unfortunately used to non-sexual/non-romantic characters who sacrifice everything for a goal being treated as fools who are in the wrong. True enough, Enjolras’s efforts are ultimately ill-fated and disastrous, but rather than frame them as misguided, the entire point is that they are noble and even heroic, despite their tragic outcome. We are meant to see Enjolras as brave despite his loss, and to feel for him when he meets his end.

I think this is meant to extend not just to his efforts, but to those non-sexual/non-romantic elements of his personality. In the book, it is said “he chastely dropped his eyes before everything which was not the Republic,” and to me this seems to be a thing to recommend him, rather than a thing to use against him. While I don’t think those types of markers should be used to distinguish non-sexual or non-romantic characters as “better” than other characters within a work, I find it noteworthy primarily because being chaste is not usually an admirable quality in modern media. In general, I find all these combinations of motives, moments, and personality make for an extremely interesting character. Whether Enjolras is Ambiguously Gay, a Chaste Hero, a singularly focused revolutionary, or has aspec vibes – or maybe even all of the above – I know he’ll always be a personal favorite of mine.

Sebastian Vael from Dragon Age II

Usually when I talk about aspec tendencies in the video game series Dragon Age, I’m focusing mainly on characters in the third game, from Cole to Josephine and even a bit of Cullen Rutherford. But I think the second game gives us an interesting albeit complicated example to analyze. And so, keeping with the theme of shining hero-type boys – in this case, literally shining, thanks to his shiny white armor – we have Sebastian Vael, a prince-turned-priest from Dragon Age II. Sebastian is the prince of a nation called Starkhaven, who was actually quite a wild thing when he was younger, so much so that his family essentially forced him into religious life in the Chantry, the main religious institution of the game’s world. Eventually, however, he came to realize he genuinely wanted to be there, even preparing to take vows of poverty and chastity to become a brother of the faith. But when Sebastian’s family is murdered, things change and he’s drawn into the world of Hawke, Dragon Age II’s protagonist, as a potential ally and even a potential love interest.

In my view, I believe that Sebastian could be demisexual and/or demiromantic, and although that seems at odds with his wild past, I believe it could actually be quite keeping with his personality and story. Sebastian was the youngest of three sons in a royal family. As neither the “heir” nor the “spare,” he was the odd one out in his family and as such, was largely ignored. Although this is never expressly described in dialogue or anything, I don’t think it’s too much of a leap to imagine that a lot of Sebastian’s youthful debauchery was more him being desperate for attention or even purpose than anything else. Furthermore, while it could be said that he wants to take Chantry vows in order to give up the temptations that his past represents, I personally feel it’s less that and more that Sebastian has found truer happiness there. He even mentions that when he thinks of being Prince of Starkhaven, he feels a level of horror, but feels peace when he thinks of staying in the Chantry. Celibacy and being aspec are in no way mutually exclusive and one doesn’t lead to the other, but I feel like for some characters, they do go hand in hand.

But of course, because Sebastian is a romance option, that also plays a big factor in these things, and his romance is a rather unique one in Dragon Age II. While the other four romance options can be romanced by either a male or female player character, Sebastian may only be romanced by a female character. Additionally, there are quite a few more requisites to romance Sebastian than in many of the other romances. Some of these requisites are plot related, and it’s possible that some of them are even related to the development of the game, but some of them feel like they add to Seb being a potentially aspec character – for instance, the fact that you cannot romance Seb if you’ve even flirted with another character, and you can only romance him if you’ve completely maxed out your relationship with him. That latter element – combined with the fact that Sebastian’s romance is pretty much completely devoid of any public displays of affection – is part of why I feel like Seb could be demisexual and/or demiromantic. Of course, the fact that he’s in the Chantry, a religious institution, for most of the game probably contributes to that, but in general it seems like perhaps Sebastian only gets romantic feelings for Hawke after really getting to know her.

Sadly, I have to admit that Sebastian’s romance as it’s written is not my favorite, but not for the reason why most fans tend to dislike his romance. While many fans seem to find Sebastian’s romance boring (and it’s certainly less lively than some other options like Fenris or Isabela), I personally don’t love it because I find it hits a few tropes that I dislike. In my post about the mistakes people make in drawing parallels between celibacy and asexuality, I mentioned the trope of the classical hero whose fate it is to either resist temptation or fall prey to it; in my view, a lot of Hawke’s romance dialogue unfortunately has that “tempting the pure boy” vibe. This is a bummer, because the game then lets you enter into a chaste marriage with Sebastian, which is actually a unique and interesting plot point that I can’t ever remember seeing anywhere else. But it feels starkly (no pun intended) at odds with many of the interactions Hawke and Sebastian have had up to that point.

Additionally, it’s sad (but not at all surprising) that many fans – and even the game itself – view the chaste marriage option as absurd. Dialogue with Hawke’s siblings reveals this quite clearly if Hawke is of the “humorous variety”; when speaking with your sister Bethany about your marriage, the word marriage is in quotes, while speaking with your brother Carver likewise has chaste marriage in quotes and leads to Carver almost venomously asserting that Sebastian invented the concept. Hawke replies to Carver by saying “Aww, would you feel better if I slept with him? Because I totally would.” While this is probably done largely to make Carver uncomfortable (and it works), I still find the entire exchange extremely disappointing – but again, not surprising. I’ve even seen fans saying they wished that “corrupting the Chantry boy” had been an option rather than the chaste marriage choice, which entirely fits the trope I mentioned above.

I can’t say I fault them when it seems like that’s what the game is leading you towards before suddenly changing gears, and so like many things, it’s an interesting concept played very oddly. The chaste marriage option is not, however, the only route that Sebastian’s romance can go. If certain choices are undertaken – and, of course, if Seb is set on the path to go back to Starkhaven rather than stay as a Chantry brother – the endgame of the romance is framed instead as a powerful political marriage, rather than a chaste marriage. This version of the romance seems like it would be the more traditional route of producing heirs, and thus it seems like many players prefer it because it means sleeping with him is not off the table.

These odd discrepancies in Sebastian’s romance makes me ask a general question – why is Seb a romance option at all? Unfortunately for Sebastian, I believe he falls under the umbrella of characters who are attractive and are therefore seen as needing to be sexual and/or romantic. I want to be clear that there’s no problem with finding Seb attractive or wanting to romance him. In general, I can’t even say I blame people for making heart-eyes at him – from his Starkhaven accent (which by real world standards is a Scottish accent) to his piercing blue eyes, Heaven knows I’ve certainly made heart-eyes at him myself. Rather, the problem is deciding that him being conventionally attractive means that he is required to be a sexual romance, and I don’t really think the game does anything but encourage this attitude.

Although the chaste marriage option is there, it feels like the developers assumed that very few people would actually want it. This to me is a disappointing gap in Sebastian’s character and romance, but I don’t think this gap means he can’t be aspec. On the contrary, despite the way he’s written and how his romance is portrayed, I think there is some compelling evidence for imagining Seb as on the spectrum. Despite the fact that it doesn’t bear out well in the game, I think players like me can still appreciate the moments he does have and, even though he is less popular in the fandom than some other characters from the same game, I’ll always be a fan of Sebastian Vael, potentially demisexual/demiromantic Chantry boy.

Ezekiel Jones from the television series The Librarians

Last but certainly not least, we shift from clear-cut hero types to a loveable rogue to look at the young thief Ezekiel Jones. Ezekiel was one of the titular Librarians in the TV series, The Librarians, which was a spin-off of the series of movies known by the singular title The Librarian. I admit that I never saw the movies, but the premise follows the adventures of Flynn Carson who protects a magical place known as the Library (which you could probably guess), which is full of incredible artifacts with equally incredible powers. The TV series continues in that world, introducing three new Librarians and their new guardian. Ezekiel, in addition to being one of those new Librarians, is a skilled hacker and criminal with a sharp wit and a heavy awareness of his own talents, but who also harbors a hidden heart of gold.

The Librarians is admittedly a little corny, but it's a lot of fun, and the characters are great. Something I say time and again is that I love it when an odd assortment of mismatched characters come together and become a team that actually cares about one another and has each other’s backs. That’s the three Librarians to a tee. They couldn’t be more different, and yet their dynamic works so well, and it leads to amazing growth for all of them, especially Ezekiel. Although he acts like a bad guy and sometimes the other characters treat him like that, the show demonstrates very clearly that he’s not bad; in fact, he wouldn’t be one of the Librarians if he was truly bad. Something I love about Ezekiel’s character is that his growth is less about becoming a “good guy”, rather, it’s embracing the fact that he already is and getting others to see it too. Ezekiel is a thief, sure, but it’s eventually revealed that he steals because he’s good at it and enjoys it – that it’s an art and he’s an artist – not because he wants the money that comes with it. Rather, when he steals something, he makes sure good can be done because of it.

You may not know this, but sassy characters with hearts of gold are always faves of mine. But I have a personal policy that I don’t headcanon a character as aspec just because I like them. So what about Ezekiel makes me think he could be aspec? A few things, actually – and alas, one of those things comes in an episode whose title I can’t remember (I know, me not being able to find sources is a common theme of this post today; past me didn’t know that I’d one day need these things for a blog, so blame her). Because I can’t remember the episode, I unfortunately can’t remember specifics with crystal clarity, but if my memory serves me at all, there’s a very small scene where the gang is talking about loving things and wanting to protect them. What does Ezekiel glance at when this speech is happening, smiling to himself a little? The slice of pizza he’s eating. Although loving food over people is a bit of a trope, it always makes me laugh – and, as an AroAce who also would do anything to protect pizza, it really made me wonder if perhaps Ezekiel was AroAce too.

For a large majority of the series, Ezekiel shows almost none (or at least very little) interest in other people. On a personal level, sure, this can be chalked up to his narcissistic tendencies, and that would not be ideal for an aspec character for reasons that I discuss in my post on whether or not aspec villains are good representation. But as I said, the show also gives Ezekiel moments where we can see how much he cares, so he’s not a bad guy. When it comes to showing an interest in people in a romantic or even sexual sense, the lack of these for Ezekiel could also be chalked up to his age, given he is clearly the youngest of all the Librarians. But even so, he’s not so young that these relationships would be off the table, so I think it’s interesting that he really doesn’t express these kinds of interests, especially when his fellow Librarians occasionally do.

Now, there is one episode especially that pokes holes in my “Ezekiel is AroAce” theory, but in my opinion, it still leaves it open to interpretation as to whether he fits somewhere on the spectrums. In the season three episode “…And the Curse of Cindy,” the team encounters the titular young woman Cindy Kroger, a generally plain and unassuming girl who has a legion of cult-like fans worshipping her. The team realizes that these people are under the control of a love potion Cindy herself has concocted, which even the male members of the team are affected by, all except Ezekiel. On the face of it, this would almost seem to confirm my suspicions (although the rest of the team just assumes it’s because Ezekiel’s own egotism outweighs any affect the potion would have on him); however, later in the episode, it’s postulated that Ezekiel wasn’t affected by the love potion because he was already in love with Cindy.

While the temptation does exist for me to fall back on my usual lamentation of “inconsistent writing” – and that’s certainly possible – I don’t necessary think this erases the possibility of Ezekiel being asexual, demisexual, demiromantic, or anything else. Although I personally find the notion of Ezekiel being in love with Cindy to be an unnecessary addition, it’s admittedly kind of a cute one, in large part because it is so pure. Much of Cindy’s motivation for creating the love potions in the first place is that she was once humiliated on a reality show, and this is apparently when Ezekiel got feelings for her, which is actually kind of sweet if we take it at face value.

But I think the most extraordinary thing for me is that it doesn’t seem like we’re required to take it at face value. First off, although Cindy and Ezekiel do share a kiss, it seems more like Cindy is the one who initiates said kiss than Ezekiel; in fact, when he kisses her in return, it’s a sweet peck to her forehead. Furthermore, it surprises me to see that many of the reviews and comments surrounding the episode still see it as open-ended whether Ezekiel was really immune to the love potion because he already loved her. In fact, far more people seem to point out that Ezekiel trying to convince Cindy that knowing her own value is more important than having people follow and love her is far and away better than any love plot. I’m not often used to seeing that type of positive interpretation for a plot like that, so I have to admit I’m very pleased.

Although The Librarians has been off the air now for several years and thus Ezekiel is probably a bit of an obscure character to headcanon as aspec, it’s also nice to think that maybe that door is not completely closed. In general, I really enjoy his character and the way he’s portrayed, whether aspec or not, but imagining him as aspec makes him extra special. I’d like to think that a magical place like the Library would find value in someone like me – aspec, snarky, and secretly a big softy – and I’d like to think that’s exactly what we see with Ezekiel (even though he’d probably hate that I called him a softy… but we all know he is).

------------------------

I’ve made similar jokes before, but the characters in this post do admittedly sound like the set up to an outlandish tale or humorous quip. An elven archer, a French revolutionary student with a heck of a singing voice, a priestly prince, and a thief with a heart of gold sound like an unlikely combination to be sure; but I’d like to think that, for as different as these characters are, they all share a great many things. In their own way, they’re all heroes. In their own way, they’re all special. And, if you see things like I do, maybe they’re even all aspec.

Any one of these characters would be, in my opinion, pretty good representation if they were allowed to be aspec – whether in their actual media or just in the headcanons and works of people like me. If all of them were aspec, it would be an example of how diverse and varied the asexual and aromantic spectrums are. Headcanons like these excite me because they make me imagine a world where we can have heroes and rogues alike be good representation, or where different stories and types of people can still find commonality in their identity. We’re probably still a long way off from these types of stories being mainstream rather than quirky, but for now, my quirky headcanons are enough to give me a little joy.

Comments

Popular Posts