Non-Romantic Disney Heroines

 

Image description: From left to right - Merida from Brave, Moana from Moana, and Elsa from Frozen, an elite club of Disney heroines who I'll be exploring into today's post

I’ve been a Disney fan my entire life. Born in the middle of what was called the “Disney renaissance,” I grew up at the time that classics like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and others were in their heyday. Disney, like anything, isn’t perfect, but over the years it has created some noteworthy heroines, and as a child I was inspired by the adventure-seeking Belle, the brave nonconformist Mulan, confident Princess Jasmine who refused to let others plan her life for her, and others from this period. There were also “off-beat” Disney movies like Atlantis: The Lost Empire to draw inspiration from as a child, and I deeply admired characters like the tenacious Princess Kida. Even looking to the past, where the temptation exists to write off the leading ladies like Snow White, Cinderella, or Aurora, whose stories largely center on romance, there are so many lessons to be learned, like endurance in the face of hardship.

Even after the “renaissance” ended and I got older, however, I never grew out of my Disney-loving phase. And thank goodness for it too, because loving Disney even into my twenties has allowed me to experience even more amazing characters. For instance, recent characters like the hard-working Tiana from The Princess and the Frog and optimistic dreamer Rapunzel from Tangled have kept up this tradition of heroines who offer so much. But for this post, I want to focus on a unique subsection of these Disney heroines, ones I haven’t mentioned yet. Unsurprisingly, they are the ones who do not have romantic relationships and who, as such, demonstrate a lot of AroAce tendencies. Although I love the stories that do include romance, over the past decade or so I have noticed an exciting trend in a lot of Disney (and Pixar) films to not include romance, or to include it in the background. Three of these in particular are the subject of today’s post – Brave, Moana, and Frozen.

Spoiler warning! 

Brave, Moana, and Frozen (ending spoilers)
Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent (very briefly mentioned)

-------------------------------------------------------

Brave


The 2012 Pixar film Brave follows the story of Princess Merida, the first-born of Scottish clan Dunbroch. A headstrong archer who loves her freedom, Merida is horrified by the notion of being betrothed to a son of one of the other clans and seeks a way to change her fate. This can be accomplished, she believes, by changing her mother, Queen Elinor, for they never seem to see eye-to-eye. However, when Merida goes to a witch for help, things go awry and she must find a way to undo the damage before it’s too late.

Right from the get-go, I was excited for Brave… but I was also terrified. While the feisty Merida seemed like a perfect candidate for an AroAce character (no pun intended), I had been burned many times already in my life in the hopes for a character like me. About halfway through the movie, in fact, I panicked. While it’s pretty clear that Merida isn’t going to choose any of the suitors from the other clans, I nevertheless feared the movie would come up with a way to give her a romance anyway. As it turned out, all my worries were baseless, but I’m getting ahead of myself; more on that in a second.

In my opinion, Merida has so many things I want in an ace character – she’s determined, resourceful, and emotional; she has flaws and makes mistakes but still remains someone endearing and genuine; she knows who she is, but she learns about the world and the people around her in ways that don’t take away from the validity of her own beliefs. That last point in particular is not only important, but this theme makes up the core of the movie. From her childhood, Merida has always been someone who has been tempted to follow the path that leads her towards purpose – something which the movie expresses through will-o’-the-wisps, which are said to lead a person to their fate. As I said above, when it comes to changing her fate by changing her mother, what Merida actually gets is a spell from a witch that transforms her mother into a bear. The only way to undo the spell? To “mend the bond torn by pride,” which we discover refers to the sundered relationship between mother and daughter.

The danger of rampant pridefulness is a theme of the narrative. But astonishingly, the movie doesn’t teach Merida about the dangers of pridefulness by making her cast aside her identity, the way media so often does. Instead, Merida and her mother learn about each other in ways that allow them to grow, both separately and together, and to have a greater appreciation of what makes them unique. At the end of the day, the movie is about the strengthening of their relationship and the things that make both mother and daughter special. I love that this is accomplished by having Merida understand Elinor’s life and her methods without having to conform to them, and that Elinor can come to respect and honor Merida’s personality as valid. All of this is done through a poignant mother-daughter relationship, rather than a shoehorned romance. In fact, the end of the movie features Merida and Elinor watching the suitors depart, together and happy in their own newly restored bond, no romance for Merida required.

I won’t lie to you – when I first saw this movie and got to the ending without a romance plot, I dissolved into happy tears. I was seventeen years old and was finally seeing a character that felt like me, who got to stay like me, who got to be brave and respected and honored for it. Even now, as a twenty-five-year-old who blogs about asexuality on the regular and has been identifying as asexual for nearly half my life, Merida is still extremely special to me. To this day, I still smile when I see little girls dressed as her, and when I go to Disney World, I get excited to even take a picture with Merida.

The phrase “representation is important” might sound trite and overused, but for me, Merida is the proof and embodiment of that saying. I’ve never thought of myself as particularly brave – goodness knows I wouldn’t be able to do even half of the things Merida does for fun in the film – but her example reminds me that perhaps I’m a little braver than I think, that perhaps changing your fate is one of the bravest things you can do. In the closing line of the film, Merida sums it up perfectly: “There are those who say fate is something beyond our command, that destiny is not our own. But I know better. Our fate lives within us. You only have to be brave enough to see it.”

Moana


Honestly, Merida means so much to me that if she was the only Disney heroine with AroAce vibes I ever got, I would have been able to endure. But something rather unexpected happened in the years following Brave – somehow, some way, we were given more heroines like Merida. So for the next example, we’re going to voyage from the Scottish Highlands to the islands of Polynesia to explore the story of Moana, the titular heroine from Disney’s 2016 film. Moana reminds me of Merida in many ways; like her, Moana is the daughter of a leader, and as such is expected to follow her sense of duty, but instead breaks tradition to take the path that is more suited to her, and where it seems her fate lies.

In Moana, however, romance is never discussed or brought up as part of the narrative at all. Instead, the thing that hangs over Moana’s head is the conflict between her responsibilities – to her family, to the people of her island, to the concept of “the way things are” – and her desire to follow her dream and venture farther. Ever since her childhood, we see Moana is called to the sea; in fact, she isn’t just called to it, she is chosen by it for a vital task: restoring the lost heart of the goddess, Te Fiti, without which the islands are beginning to fall into blight. But her father believes the ocean is too dangerous and tries to forbid Moana from striking out.

Here's the thing I really love about that notion: he’s right. The ocean chose Moana for the task, and at times it helps her, but not always. In fact, when Moana first decides she wants to follow her dream and sets out in her boat, she is nearly killed when it capsizes. I think this plot point is not only vital for Moana’s development, but it’s a vital theme of the movie, and part of what makes Moana feel like an excellent AroAce role model. “Follow your dreams” is a very standard theme of coming-of-age movies, especially Disney ones; but the fact that following her dream puts Moana through the ringer adds a necessary addition to that formula: following your dreams is not always easy, not everything immediately works out, and sometimes when you follow your dreams, the world kicks you in the teeth. But you should follow them anyway. When you look at this through an aspec or arospec lens, it becomes even more poignant, and for that reason, so much of Moana’s journey through the ocean reminds me of my own attempts to navigate the sometimes-murky waters of being different from the rest of the world.

That is Moana’s personal quest too – knowing she is different from the people around her and learning how to be herself anyway. This lesson is also driven home by Moana’s grandmother, Tala, the one who encourages her to follow her dreams. In the movie’s first song, Tala acknowledges her reputation as the village fool, but remains unbothered by it, as demonstrated by her line “the village may think I’m crazy/or say that I drift too far/but once you know what you like/well, there you are.” In turn, she encourages Moana by saying “…you may hear a voice inside/and if the voice starts to whisper to follow the farthest star/Moana, that voice inside is who you are.” As such, the question of who Moana is and what she can do becomes central to the story.

This theme is also explored through the film’s deuteragonist, the demi-god Maui, who stole the Heart of Te Fiti in the first place. Although Maui is boisterous and swaggering, we learn throughout the film that he actually cares deeply and wants to be needed, especially because he was abandoned by his human parents as a child. But even more astonishingly, this theme of “who you are” becomes central to the film’s main antagonist, Te Ka, a terrifying volcanic demon who is actually Te Fiti herself, corrupted without her heart. This discovery leads to my favorite sequence in the whole movie and a brief song from Moana as she crosses the parted ocean floor to restore the heart. “They have stolen the heart from inside you,” she says to the corrupted Te Fiti. “But this does not define you/This is not who you are/You know who you are.”

Image description: Moana's awesome "power walk" scene as she crosses the sea to restore Te Fiti's heart

All of these things make me believe that, although Moana is a great kid’s movie, it really does feel like a Disney film that was made for people around my age or older. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that there are a lot of people, regardless of sexual orientation or background, who feel confused as to who they are and where they’re going, and watching the characters of Moana struggle with that is extremely poignant. Despite her setbacks and doubts, Moana eventually succeeds in her quest and not only saves her island, but inspires her people to resume their history of wayfaring, setting out to find new islands and see how far it’s possible to go.

Frozen


I have a confession to make about this next film. While Brave and Moana have become two of my favorite Disney films of all time, the 2013 blockbuster hit, Frozen, is… not one of my favorites. But despite that, the film offers a lot of very interesting things to analyze from an ace perspective, especially because of its popularity. The movie follows the story of Elsa and her younger sister Anna, princesses of a realm called Arendelle. Elsa has a very unique and powerful kind of snow magic which, during their childhood, leads to an accident that almost kills Anna. Although Anna is saved, the event leads to Elsa living a life of fear and isolation, terrified of herself, her powers, and what they could do to the people around her. However, when Elsa becomes Arendelle’s queen following the death of her parents, her secret is revealed and she is branded a monster. She flees, finally giving into her powers rather than hiding them, and in doing so accidentally engulfs Arendelle in a devastating winter. Naturally, it is up to Anna to find Elsa and try to put things right.

Now, I only saw Frozen once, and it was probably about four years ago, so I admit that my recall of the plot is not crystal clear. I do know a lot of things jumped out at me from an aspec perspective, however. For a start, Elsa’s power – the thing that makes her unique – is something other people teach her to see as a defect and instruct her to conceal it. While it’s hard to watch Elsa struggle with this, it also feels very similar to aspec people (and indeed anyone in a sexual minority) being treated in ways that make their own uniqueness feel unwanted and shameful. In that way, Elsa’s now-famous song “Let It Go” feels like even more of an anthem when analyzed through an ace lens. Sung when Elsa flees to the wilderness, the song is about her abandoning the years she spent concealing her true self and casting off the expectations others had of her. This is done by isolating herself, however, and so it is far more powerful when Elsa is able to return and find purpose later on, something which I hear is explored more in the movie’s sequel.

Returning to the theme of Elsa’s isolation, however, it’s very clear that Elsa running away is not the only way in which she is isolated – in fact, a large part of the isolation Elsa feels is isolation from her own sense of self, the outside world, and most importantly, from her own sister. Furthermore, although romance is part of Anna’s story, it is not at all part of Elsa’s story, and I really appreciate that the narrative shows it’s the loss of Elsa’s relationship with her sister that causes the most strain. It’s so common that stories about people who isolate themselves or who don’t fit into the world are missing out on romance specifically, and the idea that not having romance in your life is missing out on what is supposedly “the greatest thing in life” is even more common. I discussed some of the problems with defining “love” in this manner in my previous post, and so it is very refreshing that romance is a side-plot in Frozen, while the larger narrative focuses instead on Elsa and Anna’s relationship as sisters.

I also appreciate how an act of true love is defined in this movie as Anna’s selfless sacrifice born out of love for her sister, rather than some random romance. In fact, this movie does not shy away from showing that “true love automatically equals romance” is actually a pretty absurd notion. While Anna does eventually find a good and caring partner in Kristoff, her initial relationship with Hans demonstrates that having an actual real love is far deeper and more complicated than a lot of romances out there would have you believe. So in some ways, not only does Frozen offer us some AroAce friendly vibes, it also offers us some demisexual vibes too.

For those reasons, although I feel like there is a lot more to unpack with Frozen than I can do in one paragraph of one essay, it’s nevertheless interesting to consider the notion of Elsa having those AroAce vibes, or at the very least having a story that I think a lot of aspec people could find value in. The fact that she is such a popular character makes these things especially noteworthy. Between Elsa, Moana, and Merida, I would like to believe that the children of this generation have great and varied non-romantic role models to look up to, and that perhaps a young person will have an experience like I did watching Brave, and will finally see a story that reminds them of their own.

Image description: Anna and Elsa are an excellent example of how to do a story where love is a thing, sure, but where the real love and meaning of the story comes from a non-romantic bond.

As both a writer and a Disney fan, one of my favorite quotes of all time comes from the movie Saving Mr. Banks, in which Walt Disney himself is a main character. “That’s what we storytellers do,” he says during the film’s climax, “We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again and again.” For me, truer words have never been spoken, and when it comes to some of the films I’ve mentioned here, it’s especially true. Seeing movies and characters like this gives me hope for what the future of representation might look like, both in Disney films and other media.

But over the years, mine has definitely become a cautious hope – even when I find characters like me, I tend to worry that they’ll be taken away from me, or hold onto them tightly in the belief that I won’t find others like them again. So it is only with the most cautious of optimism that I look ahead and wonder if maybe other Disney heroines will be added to this unique club. For example, next month is the release of Raya and the Last Dragon, Disney’s latest animated film and one whose plot summary makes me think perhaps romance won’t be a factor, so I find myself wondering if someday soon, I can be analyzing Raya for this blog too. I won’t count on it, of course, but it would be nice, and it is technically possible, thanks to characters like Merida, Moana, and Elsa paving the way.

Honestly, I feel as though I’ve barely scratched the surface with this post – especially since I didn’t even get to explore other Disney films where romance takes a back seat (like in 2014’s Maleficent) or where the heroine ends up unattached (like in the 2010 live-action version of Alice in Wonderland). But even through so brief an analysis, I hope I’ve been able to demonstrate why these characters could be amazing AroAce representation and why I would like to see more of them, now and in the future. Disney prides itself on creating stories about magic and making people believe in the impossible; for me, they do that, but probably not in the way they’re expecting. Because for me, seeing myself represented is a magic all its own.

Comments

Popular Posts